Author Topic: Do you believe in the afterlife?  (Read 50336 times)

Offline Cinn

• New Members
Re: Do you believe in the afterlife?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2018, 11:57:15 PM »
Thank you everyone who has posted here. I lost my beloved husband less than a week ago and am heavy with sadness.  Im not sure what i believe, but what you all have written here is comforting. Im an atheist, my husband was agnostic, so neither of us are religious. I do think quantum physics hints that there may be something of an afterlife, in a way that we cannot really imagine. When my husband was very ill he told me he was terrified to die because he may never see me again, or wouldnt be able to find me. His own father passed just 5 months before, and he was still grieving for him, so i hope they found each other. I deeply hope to be with my husband again, and all those i love.  I dont know if i believe that i will,  but i know if i dont feel any hope of ever seeing him again this life will be too much to bear.  I might even consider suicide except for the fact my husband expressed worry that if i were to do that,  my soul may end up in a different place than his, and i think that may very well be if our souls do go on.  Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. 

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »

I also found quantum physics interesting The key thing it did show which it has proven, is the  way we were taught physics, that there are rules represented by equations that are undisputable facts and there is no deviation therefor x or y cannot be true has been blown out of the water - and i think if you start to believe that then you can start to believe in all the other possabilities - reincarntion, heaven, tree spritis and the existance of the creatures we named fairies -and that opens up so many more possabilities too us -
However I dont believe in the idea our souls are selected to be  in different places according to how our lives are lived or how we died and that this is decided  by a divine hand that punishes us if we break some rules, when the only rules known too us are those based on something interperted by man so may not be the right rules, and i think it is really important for those who have lost some-one too suicide that we stop the idea that suicide is a sin because mental health is as fundamental too life as physical health - often harder to cope with in some ways because it is hidden.
In the early days i thought about suicide too - there seemed to be no point in my continued existance here - but it wasnt so much fear of being sent somewhere else but fear of blowing any opportunity that might exist of us being reunited hapilly when i would not be the soul he recognised  i imagined a conversation -how woud that go - how would he feel about me -putting our familly through even more pain or creating the trauma for a  policeman or ambulance man or bystander that i would cause - but most of all, if having watched him fight for his life i threw mine away.so supose he understands and we sit together -how does the next conversation go - if i have done nothing been no-where what can i tell him of the world,but there is also the other case that perhaps they stay alongside us in some way and continue to see us through a veil in which we cant see them but sometimes feel their presence, if we dont live our lives as fully as we can then how does this affect them - would they feel trapped by our tiny existance would they leave our side because it is such a little existance that they see we cant hear them or feel them there.

:hug: I know right now it is hard to imagine that you can, but if you try and live your life as though you are his eyes on the world he will give you the strength to do that whether there is or isnt an afterlife whether they remain by our side of not -we dont know with certainty but we have connected in ways that cannot be brocken - they have been part of our journey and even though we now have to take separate journeys for a time, what we have shared and what we have learned will go with us.

For me it was about journeys but so early on just geting up,and surviving the day  is a journey to go back to doing something you loved or to a place you wanted to go together but didnt get chance feels like a huge mountain but so does every day in these early times  - you dont have to leap up the mounains  but little by little put things into place so you can climb it because if you can  make it a goal of doing something for him, he will be the strength in some way that pushes you to do it - and once you have there will be something else you want to do for him and again his energy will hold you up.   

Offline Jamie96

• New Members
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2018, 02:02:21 AM »
Im an atheist, I never really bought into the idea of Religion as a hole, but now ive lost someone....I get it. I get why people like to believe that theyre loved ones are in heaven looking down on them. its very comforting.

Offline Thea

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2019, 08:49:03 PM »
I do. My late father was a medium. He used to give readings. I know that I have some sort of gift and am busy trying to develop it.

One evening last December, just before Christmas, I was watching a Christmas movie on tv and I suddenly got the most intense feeling that my partner, Des (he passed in November 2018) was standing in the doorway. The feeling was so intense that I actually looked at the doorway fully expecting to see him standing there. I know that it was Des and I talk daily to him asking him to please give me a sign and let me know he is with me. 

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2019, 12:21:47 PM »
I have had that happen Thea - we used to go at every possible opportunity for a holiday or weekend to a place in Wales to watch the dolphins,it was a while before i could face going back on my own but i came to the conclusion life was bad enough without giving up everything i loved doing on top of that so i went back and have done a few times since. One day i was standing on the harbour wall completely mesmerised by a dolphin that was very close in,  aware there were people standing behind me but then i felt almost as though some-one put an arm round me some-one  so warm and close i almost leaned back on them - if i had thought it was one of the strangers i had half clocked  i would have been very uncomfortable and shifetd, yet i wasnt - i carried on watching the dolphin for a good few minutes,almost instinctively knowing that if i turned away the feeling would go and it faded as the dolphin moved off but when i did turn round the people had all moved a long way down the wall there was no-one there.

so rather than not go back, afraid that it will be unbearble to do so (and it can also be a painful thing to do so its bittersweet)  perhaps for some reason they are closer too us when we go back somewhere they loved, - was the presence of the dolphin something to do with it - some kind of messanger-  or maybe when we go forward,  if we go somewhere they wanted to go as i also felt this in south africa (no dolphin present then but a rainbow in a waterfall - he never went there but would have loved too and i remember us seeing a picture of a waterfall rainbow in our early days together and saying how beautiful it would be to see that one day.)

I dont know, no-one really does, but my theory is if there is a spirit or soul within us and it is set free when our body dies, why would we not travel, so as well as their loss being particularly poignant at times like that, perhaps their presence is also more greatly enhanced.
If that is the case then taking them with us, talking too them, living our life as though for them when we find we have no incentive to live it for ourselves is a way we can slowly move forward.
 For them to see us crippled by grief must be equally painful for them and so perhaps those are the times we cant reach other through that pain and that worsens it, but doing something normal like watching a xmas movie,going somewhere or doing something they loved, experiencing a moment of joy or seeing something that brings us awe, we can then share that far more easilly.

Offline Thea

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
Hi Karena. What a beautiful experience you had. I envy you that warm embrace.

I talk to Des every day and I ask him over and over for a sign so that I know he is here with me.

I had a weird experience in the middle of one night a few weeks ago. I woke up lying on my left side and realised that I was completely paralysed and couldn't speak. While I struggled to move my right arm I kept repeating over in my mind 'Please God, please God'. I could also hear someone moving around behind me on Des' side of the bed. Then I heard someone walk from the door, around the foot of the bed and then to Des' side.

I managed to overcome the paralysis and turn over onto my back. I looked sideways and saw someone lying in the bed with me and I just knew it was Des. I rolled over to face him. I could hear him breathing and knew he was asleep. I reached out to touch his face but I couldn't feel him, my hand went through his face. So I held my hand over his cheek. Then he opened his eyes and said 'I've been all over, I've even been to Las Vegas' (he had always wanted to go to some big car show there).
I said 'You do know you're not here anymore?' and he nodded. I then asked 'What do you do? What work do you do?' Then he disappeared. 

This was not a dream. If it was, then it was not like any other dream that I've ever had.   

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2019, 12:41:45 PM »
I had an experience similar to that on a camp site - in the dream i got up and left the campervan walked into the woods next to the site which was moonlit and headed down towards where there is a view of the sea - on the way i was passing a really old tree when this own flew down  (it didnt speak or hoot but communicated in my mind)
and told me it was bringing me the part of my soul i had lost, and i, also not speaking, said that it belonged to keith and always would so i couldnt take it back.

In the morning i decided it was a dream - owls were significant too us as we had rescued one,my soul belonging to him was how i was thinking so it made sense it was just that - until i got up and started to get dressed and discovered my shoes, that had been dry and clean and left inside the door, were now outside and covered in mud and leaves. I re-traced my steps i found  footprints that fit mine and the tree which i hadnt noticed before particulalry was also real.

To this day i still dont know for sure what was going on, but i also subsequently discovered that there is an ancient stone circle hidden in those woods so perhaps a wisdom far older than ours and forgotten in our modern world was at play.   

Offline Thea

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2019, 07:12:51 PM »
Oh wow. How awesome. :grin:

I agree, there is definitely something more than us out there.

Offline green dragon

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 01:35:21 PM »
To begin with, I'm glad to see reincarnation is so popular. Maybe we're onto something! I sure hope so.

What I want to believe right now goes something like this: we take this human form (and the body as shell or garment, as our main tool and vehicle towards completing our earthly goals) so as to better our spiritual part, which is also part of the universal consciousness. By bettering our bit, we better the whole as well. Why is there a universal consciousness to begin with or why does it need betterment via successive human existences, don't ask me just now, I heven't thought about that part yet. But I suppose it can be bettered via other deeds beside human (or animal, plant etc.) existences. That might be beyond our understanding.

Every time we return from an incarnation to the "mothership", aka the universal consciousness, we feed into it the bit we have bettered on our sojourn on Earth, which causes it to go up a bit on the positive scale. The universal consciousness is a place where we know everything there is to know about the universe and also where we act differently than our small core on earth does, because when we there, we are directly connected to all the other cores (we form something like a giant brain) and also because you wouldn't think like humans do on earth at the epicentre of everything. I can't explain more, obviously, because it took me long enough to imagine this bit as it is... Suffice to say, that is the centre of everything that ever existed (which continues to exist in a different form).

If we bungled up and lead a life of crime or such, then we return to the mothership to bathe into the "goodness", replenish our spirit with positive energy and formulate a plan for the next life, which, hopefully, will be a better run. If we were good and achieved most of our goals, then we still bathe in the maximised goodness and still formulate our next plan. The idea is that our "core", the one which has access to the universal consciousness, is essentially good, but due to the conditions imposed on the core by the earthly material existence, we bend, more or less, to passions and everyday pettiness, which cause us to not achieve some of the goals, or go through great hardships in order to succeed.

After a certain time (let's say, when we have completely recharged with positive energy), we launch on our next assignment and start a new life. Now I, of course, want to believe that the people we are the closest to in any given life meet us in most, if not all, our lives. Hard to say what is the deal with the people who cause us pain and trouble but I suppose they also work through their obstacles and may return as a better person at the next life encounter and we may be happy to solve our differences (kumbaya!).

I don't know how this all works out, it sounds like scheduling madness if you're asking me. For instance, will my Mum wait for me so that we can meet in the next lifetime or is she going to get itchy feet (as she would in this life) and reincarnate pronto and go through a life somewhere else, where she meets other people and works out other issues? Because if she's going to be a baby now it's not likely that we would end up having another very strong connection in my current lifetime (though you never know, one neighbour suggested I try for a baby now! I was like, come on, what's the point without Mum around to enjoy a grandchild? But the truth is, I have been obsessed with switching our roles, so... but it is a bit late for me to have a baby that I could see as long as Mum saw me). However, perhaps there is a fatigue period as well? We need to take breaks from reincarnation? Maybe we run different lifetimes with different sets of people? That could be possible. Or we spend a longish amount of time in the universal consciousness bath (that sounds very nice).

This is as far as I have got. I might come back and post if the theory gets more complex as time passes.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 03:11:37 PM »
I think that in life sometimes we learn 'lessons' from other people, and sometimes we are the lessons for others. There could be someone who causes you pain, but you could be the one that has to be part of their journey for a life lesson.

Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline green dragon

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 10:25:37 PM »
There could be someone who causes you pain, but you could be the one that has to be part of their journey for a life lesson.

Good point, and that is a very optimistic look at it all, because we can hope that next time we meet, if we do, they will behave better. My acquaintance that is a life coach also poitned out that sometimes when we behave seemingly out of character towards others, it may be that they are dealing with that kind of answer. Not to blame the victim, mind.

Offline lavern2411

• New Members
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
I believe there is something, not sure what though. I lost my darling Darren at the beginning of April this year. He died of Sepsis, following treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer, it all happened very suddenly and think I am still in shock.

The week before he died he had been playing Lewis Capaldi’s song ‘someone you loved’, he loved the video and kept asking me to Watch it with him and we would both cry. I decided to have it as one of the songs at his funeral, the day before his funeral I was feeling really anxious worrying that he would be happy with what I had planned as even though he had advanced cancer we never got the chance to talk about what he wanted. That day in every shop I went into, including the barbers with my son that song was playing, it was on the radio in the car - it followed me everywhere. I believe it wears Darren telling me not to worry and that he was ok.

I talk to him all the time and believe he is watching over me, his children, grandchildren and close friends. I don’t want him tied to me, I get comfort with the thought he is with family who have passed and he is having a party with them. I miss him with every fibre of my body, but talking to him brings comfort.

I have seen mediums after my grandparents passed, they were good and I have experienced so e boot so good. I think there is nothing wrong with it as long as your life does not revolve around visiting these people, I don’t believe its what our loved ones would want for us.

Sorry post was longer than planned

Nicki
“Sometimes it’s ok if the only thing you did today was breathe”

Nicki

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
dont aplologise for long posts Nicki its always interesting to hear everyones ideas and thoughts.

Offline Joannie85

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2019, 09:22:36 AM »
Hello I am new here.
My husband was 39 when he passed on 11th March this year due to a motorbike accident. Neither of us were religious and he even said once he is dead I can do what I like with him because he is dead and wont know anything about it! I had him cremated (I had already told him he wasnt being buried because I am chlostraphobic and I wont be buried with him) sonow i have got him home with me. The thing is.....i sont feel like he is home with me, it feels like i just have a box sat on my fireplace, does anyone else feel like this? The family all say "oh its lovely you have him home", but i dont feel like i do. Hopefully I am not the only one to feel this way? Xxx
Joanne  💕

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
I think i know what you mean Joannie i am not religious as in i dont follow a religion, but my feeling is that while ashes are the remains of the physical body we inhabit, our spirit or soul is not with them - in terms of spirit, again you dont need to be religious or believe in an afterlife of any kind even, i do, but none of us  knows so i am aware that i might be very wrong.

But even if you dont believe that, you can  feel them around you in your heart and in your memorys of them, in a situation you get into,whether its advice or something funny that happened or something you cant find in the house, or going somewhere new,you know what they would have said or done and call on them it that sense, so they remain part of your life, how could they not.

We are all different and for many people Ashes are a comfort, I know some-one who takes his wifes ashes with him whenever he goes away in his car - i take my husbands daft hat everywhere in my campervan because he always wore it when we went off camping - it isnt because i  think he inhabits the hat, it is just a physical symbol which represents the idea that he still travels with me in some other way, and for some people ashes do the same thing - for me the hat is a symbol of his life rather than ashes which are not.

You said that you chose cremation because you wouldnt want to be be buried with him , so i am guessing you are thinking  your ashes will eventually be reunited with his,  so maybe if you think of them in that sense, rather than looking for and not finding comfort from them now, you will start to see, as i have, comfort in other things, symbols which represent life together,

I dont have all his ashes, as his children wanted to scatter some and one of his daughters had some made into a ring to be her engagement ring so he would get to walk down the aisle with her, her sister did the marathon this year wearing the ring -which we smiled over as he certainly wasnt a marthon runner, but again it was symbolic for her and in that way spurred her on to finish just as he would have done had he been stood at the finish line -  so again they are using them as a physical symbol of his presence in a different way, they dont think he inhabits the ring.

A symbol doesnt have to be related to a religion or a belief, but something which speaks about the things you shared,it doesnt have to be romantic, the hat isnt romantic but it feels right that it stays on the dash where he used to throw it, and it makes me smile to see it there just as i would smile when we went off together.