Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147458 times)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »
That would make it more difficult to get around  :and of course you cant be looking at the scenery when driving.I know what you mean about going back too places .I was the same at first,but a!so the more i did it,the easier it got.One particular place,the place we went too every year as often as we could in Wales,and the place we had the mad plan to move too i didnt go back the first year.The second year i did but wasnt over happy,disapointed somehow because i thought he would be there in some way,but after that,once that expectation had gone i have felt really close too him there.hug: and hug for the robin too.

I think because of the late spring,the insects the birds normally eat didn't hatch.There have been a lot of comments at the hardware shop about the amount of bird seed they have sold this summer whereas normally it hardly shifts until winter.I agree it could be the position of the bird table,I had to move all my feeders the opposite way,out into the open and away from shrubs etc,after spotting a stoat in the garden.Which adds too my theory of something odd going on in the natural world,they normally are seen rarely in the fields,not bold as brass on the patio.

Emz I walked past a house with a greenhouse proper set up,and even his tomatoes are still very green.( nosy me )
Feeling frustrated had big plans to crochet a shawl,found the one on you tube at work,but for some reason you tube keeps returning to homepage and not playing anything.Have a feeling this tablet is breaking down one programme at a time.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #361 on: October 04, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »
I realised today that my new summerhouse (which replaced my garage) is going to be perfect as a bird hide lol!  I was in there painting the walls today, on my way in I had thrown out the usual food for my birds and whilst in there I could see through the window and saw loads of birds :-)  It always surprises me to find how uplifting it is to see and watch the birds, and know I'm doing some good with the food :-) 

Ive gained another 2 red tomatoes and have 4 more on the windowsill starting to redden.  Think the rest may be beyond now given the damp windy weather. But think I managed to make it to double digits of tomatoes!  (Not bad for someone with no idea how to grow them and hadnt planned on having/didnt want any plants either!)

Hope everyone is doing ok xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #362 on: October 05, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »
well done with the Toms Emz.
I agree watching the birds is fascinating and soothing, you will start to see characters and relationships the more you watch.
My poor scruffy blackbird got a shock this morning. I have rufus dog for two weeks,so this morning i checked before letting him out and scruffy was right outsie the door -so i knocked on it to warn her but she came towards the door instead of away from it -just as he dashed past me. Luckilly no harm done, the dog was too intent on having  pee to bother and scruffy hopped onto the bird feeder then continued to seek breakfast from her safe perch.
It was so lovely last night having a dog to cuddle up with,my resolve to not let him sleep upstairs dissolved in seconds with a look from big brown eyes when i tried to leave him so as long as he understands that it only happens at my house we,re good. If not i,m going to be in big trouble when he goes home  :rofl:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #363 on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
The practice run is over then Emz - next year you'll have perfect toms., that's what I told myself for years but I finally had to admit that somehow me and tomatoes just didn't get on - now cucumbers and runner beans are a different matter  :smiley: .

My birds still haven't come back for some reason, only my Robin keeps flitting down to pick up a mealworm or two. I've cleared the garden now and saved half a dozen of the best Sunflower heads, I dry them out well and then hang them out upside down near the birdtable. They usually attract spome visitors to get the seeds.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #364 on: October 05, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »
Strange thing is where I used to live across the valley,it was higher up and colder but I had no problem with runner beans.courgettes coming out of my ears and tomato's thriving outside,but here runner beans are pathetic,The same breed of courgettes produce two if I,m lucky but this year rotted at the base,Even peas are not happy Not a chance of outdoor tomato's and I wouldn't have done cucumbers outside at either place.Leeks herbs spuds lettuce and spinach are the only guarantees.Butternut squash which i had high hopes for earlier are also now looking pathetic Rasberrys black currents rhubarb and plums do great but again not Strawberry's.

I can only conclude that the gods of nature know I don't have to produce as much food now and said gods also know that Strawberry's can only be eaten with cream ...by law,so are trying to preserve my sylph like figure.  :rofl:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #365 on: October 05, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
According to my brother-in-law cream should be eaten with everything in fact his ideal pudding would be a dish of cream with cream on it  :smiley:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #366 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »
I love hearing your Scruffy updates :-) lovely that you Rufus for a while.  It is lovely to have a dog around, especially after we've lost our own.  Have you considered something like borrowmydoggy for a regular visitor?   If you closer you could borrow Raz - he stinks this eve, like he's rotting from the inside  :shocked:

I failed with cucumbers last year.  They started off well, they were unusual round yellow ones. Just as they started getting somewhere the snails/slugs ate them all overnight :-(
 Hope your birds come back soon George!  Glad your robin still there.  They say a robin represents a loved one visiting ua.  I gained a robin, he's the first down for the suet pellets recently :-)

Ooo butternut squash. I made a butternut squash the other day, but the squash was so small it was only half the weight it should have been for the recipe.  Well, i adjusted the carrots etc, then forgot and put in the full volume of turmeric and black pepper.  So hot/spicy it blows your head off!  I later added some mashed sweet potato, but still a bit harsh on the back of the throat.  Need to think what else i can do to save it tomorrow!  I did however succeed with toasting the seeds, and they were ridiculously tasty!  Roasted them with a little olive oil, turmeric, black pepper and dash of salt - so yummy!  Will be doing those again!

All that talk of cream have me thinking of puddings now!!  Ok, so whats everyones favourite pudding? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #367 on: October 05, 2017, 10:42:56 PM »
"favourite pudding" - Bread and Butter pudding, but it would have to be made by my grandma in her old side oven closely followed by a rice pudding made in the same way and either with a good dollop of cream  :yahoo:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #368 on: October 06, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
I think mine has to be raspberry pavlova :-)  closely followed by homemade rice pudding :-)   although I quite like apple crumble and custard too!
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #369 on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:19 PM »
There are too many puddings in the world to pick a favourite one.But strawberry or blackcurrent crumble and meruingue based ones are up there on the list. Rice pudding would have to be done in the rayburn oven by my gran and would have to have a brown crust - but i,m not above eating it cold straight from the tin.Bread and butter pudiing i know can be very nice but just the name reminds me of school dinners -and it wasnt nice at all there.
When we used to go to camping meets with a jacobs join involved we used to stop and pick up a huge lime cheesecake from a shop in Cumbria on the way -i was always just a bit glad when there was some left,it never got left in the marque overnight like other food did. :rofl:

My work colleague, who is as thin as a rake watches bake off avidly and makes the stuff on it ,-i watched bake off once a couple of weeks ago just to see what all the fuss is about, and put weight on just thinking about it.

I never thought of roasting the butternut seeds Emz -will have to give that a go.

Scruffy should really have a name change -most of her feathers are back,its only when she turns her head you can still see a bit of bald neck,if it wasnt for the behaviour now i might not recognise her at all.I nipped home at lunchtime to let Rufus out and noticed the Autumn rasberrys are ripening -wouldnt mind betting the birds have noticed too and short of picking them in the dark tonight by the time i get too them they will be gone.never mind -its good to share. :whistle:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #370 on: October 06, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
Ive never tried a strawberry crumble, I shall have to add that to my 'food to try' list!  Do like apple & blackberry, or apple & rhubarb too :-)
Haha re bake off!!  :rofl:
I had never thought to roast the butternut squash seeds before.  Ive roasted pumpkin seeds, which were alot harder to remove & clean.  Removing the butternut squash seeds was a doddle.  They didnt last long, as they were really tasty and moreish!
Mmmm i do love raspberries.  I have some shop bought ones in the fridge, which go really nice with a fromage frais for a quick/small pudding :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Fleur

« Reply #371 on: October 07, 2017, 09:30:27 AM »
My favourite pudding is Eton Mess, made with fromage frais to keep the calories and fat content down and with strawberries or raspberries...or both!
 :whistle:
This too shall pass.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »
Ooo I'll have to try fromage frais as a substitute :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Fleur

« Reply #373 on: October 08, 2017, 10:54:03 AM »
Oops! That should have been creme fraiche, sorry!  :whistle:
This too shall pass.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #374 on: October 08, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
What is the difference,I always get them confused. :whistle: