Author Topic: Sertraline, counselling or both?  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Perle Orestes

• New Members
Sertraline, counselling or both?
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
Lost my mum nearly 3 weeks ago. My thoughts and feelings at the moment are all over the place and I'm sometimes finding it hard to focus. I'm having great difficulty getting to sleep and feel tired all the time. I was prescribed sertraline by my GP for anxiety about 4 months ago (nothing to do with my bereavement). The side effects were quite bad so I only took them for a few days, instead I concentrated on doing the CBT techniques I'd been taught earlier this year when I had some counselling (for stress and anxiety). I'm trying to do apply the same techniques now and it's working a bit but not as well as I'd like, so I'm wondering if maybe I should try counselling again or should I try to take the sertraline, or is it still very early days and am I just expecting too much of myself? When I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago he said he was concerned that I could become depressed but I can't remember what else he said. I've never suffered with anxiety or stress until this year and originally it was related to work.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Sertraline, counselling or both?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
Not all counselling is the same so maybe some specific bereavement counselling might work rather than CBT.Depression and anxiety are part of the grieving process too,so its hard to know whether whatvyou are experiencing is from one source or the other.I have SAD but grief seems to strike hardest at this time of year.Is it the SAD or the dark lonely nights closing in ? I don't know.
I can't advise on antidepressant,I can't take them as they make me physically Ill but maybe some alternatives might help.Simply getting outside,walking in the woods,feeding the birds,just going back too the simpler things of life,maybe meditation,sleep yoga or herb teas.Getting enough sleep and also healthy  eating can make a huge difference but tend to be things we neglect when dealing with grief.Most of all we neglect being kind too ourselves and that means accepting that grief isn't simple,doesn't watch the clock,doesnt end after the funeral and is life changing.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Sertraline, counselling or both?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
It's a tough one, when in pain we are desperate to escape the pain but grief is a process which takes time.  Its natural to feel low and can be hard to distinguish between grief and depression sometimes. To try and avoid dipping into depression, keep giving yourself TLC, be gentle with yourself, keep talking with/seeing friends and family.  When you have a really bad day, permit yourself to feel low - but also treat yourself as you would a friend
I found starting to feed the birds in the garden helped me - felt like I was doing something helpful and was lovely watching them xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx