Author Topic: Funeral plan  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Amnerisuk

Funeral plan
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
My mum took out a funeral plan. She paid £80 up front then £50/month for 2 years. When she died they said there was a shortfall of £2800. I could pay it or cancel the policy. I would get £600 refund minus £395 cancellation fee.  I agreed to pay the shortfall expects £5500.  Imagine my shock when they gave the undertaker just £2830! Basically all if her payments yielded just £30.

I think it's disgraceful.  She wanted to avoid me having this worry.  I'm awaiting probate so no access to her money. Luckily I had saved some so I could afford the funeral until the funds are released.  She wanted burial which cost £12000 including burial plot But this didn't exclude the catering, flowers, printing etc.

She had a great send off and I don't resent the money but it was a shock when I heard the amount.
I think it's better value to pay an undertaker up front and leave instructions.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Funeral plan
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
It is something i have been giving thought too recently so thankyou for the heads up on the potential pitfalls.I am so sorry for the loss of your mum - you are right of course it isnt really about the money so much,  but having to deal with issues like this when you are already in a state of turmoil is very hard. :hug: