Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147307 times)

Offline Jude M

Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2016, 09:57:21 PM »
The only trouble with the other end, not sure if you are allowed to go there. Plus think you would have been better watching from another advantage point . Just need to find out where it would be, Running out of time as the end of March it finishes.
I get up, go to work and survive another day .

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
Lol karena, the dinner was tasty but Richard Hawley aint bad himself! When I saw him at Colston Hall thought he had quite a 50s rocker look :-)

Such a shame you didnt get up close Jude, fingers crossed you find them again, I imagine it would be really impressive to watch.  I love it when i see little groups and they are flying and swooping together

Is anyone being naughty eating chocolate for breakfast? Lol xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Jude M

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »
Its getting too late to see them again as they start to migrate February/ March  back to their breeding ground.
Thinking I will have to be better prepared to see them December/January  :azn:or I go to Aberystwth and know it will be a good show there.
I was given an egg off my friend but will it to my young, trying to give up treats, not even opened a packet of chocolate biscuits, they have been in the cupboard for the last week   :smiley:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Jude I watched a murmuration last year,it was definitely worth the efforts to see and lasted a couple of hours (dress warmly) got one of my best shots as they flew right past a footpaths sign in the direction it was pointing in.but its worth it even more just for the experience.
All is quiet in the house now just having a rest before I tackle the washing up.After the easter egg hunt we attempted to go for a walk in the woods,the instant we did it started raining so it was a very short walk.Got home covered fire guard with wet coats and watched Bambi,(fast forwarding the sad bit) then the sun came out and so did the kites. We got to the field and the heavens opened and it started hailing.the wind got up and kites began twisting.This time complete changes of clothes were needed along with baths and hot chocolate.The house is now strewn with dripping clothes and wellies and 3 kites.The baby one is fine the  two small power kites will have to be re strung they twisted so much.Not a fun job.
Thank goodness I decided against the big one,we would be flying over the north sea somewhere by now.
I did think about selling that one on, it needs two people to take it out really, but the boys all love kiting and another couple of years the eldest will be able to handle it so I will keep it and see if they are still interested.It would be nice to still be flying with them for a while yet.
So that's my day.tomorrow will be somewhat quieter then its bank holiday over.Hope everyone else is OK.I,m off to put the kettle on (and yes Emz I imagine you are the only one who had chocolate for breakfast even I couldn't manage that and I,m an expert chocolate eater.)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2016, 08:30:26 PM »
I have a kite which my mum and her husband bought me, but I've never flown it, read the instructions and they scared me lol!! (Warnings about the strings when flying)

I was a good girl, no chocolate for my breakfast, I had a slice of toast and a banana :-)  went to favourite cafe for an awesome roast dinner, followed by a strawberry sundae.  Was sleepy after so came home, chucked on a blanket and watched Brides of Dracula.  Did some study this eve and now watching 'into the woods' and eating my lindt chocolate  bunny from my mum :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Jude M

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2016, 10:39:02 PM »
Jude I watched a murmuration last year,it was definitely worth the efforts to see and lasted a couple of hours (dress warmly) got one of my best shots as they flew right past a footpaths sign in the direction it was pointing in.but its worth it even more just for the experience.

I sort of saw one about 2 years ago and at the time I was driving, plus it was in the distance and really didn't pay that much attention to it until I got home . Then thought  what !!!!! I missed something special .

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
Its definitely something special.So is Aberystwyth so a combination of the two has to be worthwhile.
And this the holiday over back to the grindstone today.(yuk)

Hope you enjoyed your Lindt Emz.What kind of kite did you get,I think the power ones are only dangerous if you fly them in the wrong conditions and don't have the weight to stay on the ground  or  crash them onto an innocent bystander or have them pulling a board ski/grass/surf which could also do some damage,but the kites themselves are very lightweight.You should have a go, any kind of kite is fun at any level but power kites are also a reminder that nature is stronger than humans.The baby kite is just a bog standard old style kite but so stable the little ones can easily fly it so we don't end up with tears.
Yesterday was a write off for gardening,it was just too cold,so I cleaned out the big aquarium and re arranged the stones and plants it took ages, the fish seemed bored but now is busy trying to undo my artistry.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »
I know nothing about kites - here's s pic of it.  I read the instructions, got scared I'd do a Mary Poppins and its never been out of its bag! :-o xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
Your list of things to worry about worried me lol!  I guess its not being 100% sure I'll be in control of it which worried me.  The safety rules included 'tight lines cut through each other and are razor sharp' scared me and I worried for my fingers!

Hows your day been? Mine was ok, went quite fast.  A bit uninspired in general, but no disasters which is good!  Am off tomorrow, is my mums birthday so taking her out to lunch xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Jude M

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
We brought a kite for our sons, didn't take it for a test flight ( which we should have ) Took it all the way to France, on our second day there went to the filed with this kite only to watch it go up, come down with a thud and find that a piece was missing  :laugh:. The only problem was we were going to be in France for 5 weeks and couldn't  repair it to fly .

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »
Can't see a size Emz but generally speaking you would need a 3 metre one to lift you off the ground a 2 metre one would but only in extreme conditions or if you wanted it too and might drag you a bit rather than lift you.I have never heard of anyone getting cut by the strings on them as long as they're strung properly and you hold the handles I don't see how it could happen.In Afghanistan they have serious competitions and use special strings to cut the strings off competitors kites but I doubt yours comes equipped with those.If you look on you tube there's plenty of videos on flying them you might find one for your model.The main thing to watch is wind speeds your instructions will give you the minimum and maximum recomendations .
Get your other half to go with you its easier with two as launching them yourself is an art form. you need a decent size open space with no overhead power lines.

Oh dear Jude hope your lads went too disappointed.I once took the boys for a picnic with the promise of a dinghy on the river,dragged it plus picnic all the way there blew it up with a footpump then discovered the bung was missing from the valve.Popular I was not.
It snowed quite a lot this morning and the hills are still white so I guess winter is still not behind us yet.
Been quiet at work a few people missing as there is a stomach bug going round deep joy.I am hoping the way my own is churning is down to being hungry or  psychological.sympathy rumbling.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2016, 09:13:40 AM »
Im going to put flying my kite on my list of things to do this year I think :-)

Hope you haven't picked up the bug, there's lots going around. My niece was in hospital for a week before easter with pnemonia, their whole little family have taken it in turns with a sickness bug :-/

Ive woken up quite dopey, remember lots of dreaming.  Going to have a coffee to wake up slowly!  How is everyone today? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
I know nothing about kites - here's s pic of it.  I read the instructions, got scared I'd do a Mary Poppins and its never been out of its bag! :-o xx

Bring it to Bristol Emz and pray for big wind. I can get a great shot of Norma doing a Mary Poppins over the river Severn  :coffeetoast:
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
No need to pick on me just because im the smallest and being the  oldest should be showing some respect,  but the kite would need strong ropes to get my weight of the ground, you know those similar to what hold the severn bridge up lol 

☂☂☂☂☂☂
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2016, 03:59:26 PM »
Naughty Dave!! Lol
Im not tying my buddy to a kite and letting her fly off

My day is going well, after being dopey first thing, did some more nail art (sponging this time, and quite pleased with the effect).  Took my mum out for a bday lunch, and popped to a couple of shops.  Dropped her home afterwards, both quite sleepy from a big lunch.  Little bit of sun out so sat on the bench whilst Raz has his bone.  Time for a little bit of study now.  I love non working days!

How is everyone? Xx
Hold on in there xx