Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147409 times)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #345 on: August 22, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
Re the tomatoes, a little later on in the season you can remove green ones and put them on a sunny window sill. In the meantime it's best to stop (remove growing tip) the plants to force them to concentrate on the existing fruit and it's also good to remove lower leaves and let the light get at the fruit. I've always known the theory but I could never grow them succesfully myself  :rolleyes: :smiley:.

As far as simple meals go, I occasionally treat myself to my childhood favourite, open a tin of beans, fold a couple of pieces of dry bread and then sit and eat the beans out of the tin with an occasional bite of bread. I only buy tins with ring pull tops so I don't think it could get any simpler and after the feast -  :coffeetoast:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #346 on: August 22, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
Will check the tomatoes themselves are in the sun (when the sun does appear lol!) 

Im glad I'm not the only one who likes cold beans from the can - although it has been quite a while since I did that :-) xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #347 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
Ripening on the windowsill works I,he done that before,but they're better off on the plant for as long as possible.I think this year lack of sun has a part to play,yet my cucumbers in the same place did fine so it is an odd one.
I have been known to eat beans from the tin,but also rice pudding.For me its either homemade,which I havnt done for a long time,or cold tinned.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #348 on: August 22, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »
My rice pudding used to come out of tins but now it comes out of the slow cooker  :yahoo:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #349 on: August 22, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »
I love homemade rice pudding, always reminds me of my nan.  Back then we'd all compete for the 'skin', now I get it all to myself  :yahoo: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #350 on: August 23, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
me too,so you would have to share if i was there Emz.
Longedege i dont imagine you get skin with a slow cooker do you ?

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #351 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »
Yes quite a good skin but nowhere as good as the one my grandma's rice pudding used to have when it had been in the side oven of her living room fire.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #352 on: August 23, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
Nothing can beat those old style ovens.We had a Rayburn,in fact it still exists but doesn't work.Bottom oven was used for slow cooking,perfect meruinges,and occasionally warming tiny orphan lambs.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #353 on: August 29, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
Woohoo!! My tomatoes are starting to change colour!!  :yahoo: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #354 on: August 29, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »
Yay you see patience pays off.mine have just started to form.All three of them. :rofl:They will be lovely for Xmas dinner.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #355 on: September 10, 2017, 08:34:04 PM »
Here we are, another Sunday evening. How is everyone doing?

I've been feeling a bit down/stressed recently but have had an ok day today.  DIY type jobs can have quite a meditative effect sometimes. Spent some time this morning filling nail holes on the cladding on the inside of my summerhouse, the repetitive task was quite relaxing!  Spent a few hours emptying the bedroom in preparation for decorating starting tomorrow and then went out for lunch as a reward

My tomato plants are loaded with tomatoes. Picked a red one recently, which has gone into tonight's chilli, which is currently bubbling away.  Just harvested another one this eve, a little larger.  A large green one fell off earlier when the pot was blown over so have put on the windowcill to hope it ripens.  Does anyone know how long I should wait on the other green tomatoes on the plants?!   I'm considering looking up/learning how to do green tomato chutney!

Hugs to all xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #356 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Monday evening - the only day in the week that has got any structure in it for me as it's the day my cleaning lady comes. I have to get out of bed at a decent time instead of just lying in listening to my audiobook.

I've got myself into a real rut to be honest and I'm beginning to understand how people can become agoraphobic. I just don't go out unless it's for a specific reason which is usually to shop for food. When I'm out, I take no pleasure in anything and just do what I have to and then come home and lock myself in. I'm sure that being able to do virtually everything online can be a bad thing  :rolleyes: :smiley: . I hurt my back last winter and had to do my food shopping online but after a couple of times I kicked it into touch because I realised that if I kept it up I would simply never go out. Ho-hum.....

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #357 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
Emz give the toms a bit longer yet,unless the plants are actually dead.I don't mean just yellow silty leaves but stalks drying and snapping.Sorry you've been a bit down odd how repetitive things requiring little thought can be therapeutic..
Long edge .Its natural to want to take refuge at home,and be out but on autopilot.One thing you could try is to seek out one positive thing you see when you're out.Whether its a baby smiling a helpful shop assistant a flower a bird singing,anything at all that lifts your heart just for a second.Walk slower look more and don't go home until you find one.Then write it down.The more you do it the more positive things you see and write down the more you look for that brighter side of things.Even if its blowing a gale or tipping it down,if you can't see something use other senses.odd things you overhear half a conversation that's funny because you only hear half.The smell of coffee,the feel of the wind.

So tonight I was sat outside with my camera having just put the bird food out.I noticed a little mouse peeping out from behind a log.Then scruffy came down then another blackbird tried to muscle in.So they had a tiff and while they were distracted the mouse shot out grabbed some food and shot off again.This must have happened 3 or 4 times,before the pigeon swooped down and took over.Wished I had video mode.It was like an episode of a TV soap.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #358 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
The visitors seem to have forsaken my birdtable at the moment. I'm guessing that it's partly because there is a glut of other goodies available naturally and they'll be back when the weather gets colder. I did have a sad moment last week when I went down the garden and found one of 'my' robins lying dead on the path. No obvious signs of an attack so I think that it was just that his time had come. I was sitting with a cup of coffee a couple of weeks back when a Starling that was on the birdtable suddenly dived off the table and flew off across the garden closely followed by a streak of grey, a Sparrow Hawk I think. I'm going to re-site the table under one of my small trees to give more cover even though I won't have as good a view - perhaps it will give the birds some confidence back if that is what's keeping them away.

Karena, I have an old back injury that has left me with permanent sciatica and walking is a nightmare for me. I go everywhere by car, unfortunately they haven't invented drive through toilets yet  :laugh: . I think that the reason I so dislike being out on my own is that no matter where I go I end up thinking about "when we used to come here together". It's the downside to the fact that we were hardly ever apart for more than a few minutes after I retired from work some years ago. Perhaps it's just that I'm going through a bad patch - I don't know.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #359 on: September 11, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »
It's so easy to slip into not going out, I know I have fallen into that a little when working from home for a couple of days before. When I have gone out initially it has felt very odd/strange and off putting.  It's easy to see how that can spread.  Also, when going through a rough patch it's quite natural to do, I know karena has described it like an animal and a cave before, which is a good analogy. But is good for us to ensure it doesn't endure for too long or develop into agoraphobia.

Is there somewhere not too far you could try which is new to you? Might help initially to get used to it.

Sorry to hear about your Robin. There seemed to be a reduction in birds in my garden too, my group of sparrows seemed to be absent but I gained a gang of young doves. I was pleased to see a bit of an increase in sparrows and other little brown birds over the weekend.  Love the story about scruffy and the mouse!

Thanks karena, I'll keep an eye on the tomatoes and hope for at least enough sun to colour them. So funny being so pleased about some tomatoes! Harvested some more apples today, will stew them tomorrow.

Xx
Hold on in there xx