Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147476 times)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #555 on: September 17, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »
Like one of those Japanese mini gardens, with mini rakes etc  :cheesy: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #556 on: September 18, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
 yep until the grandkids discover it - then it will be mini japanese garden all over the carpet, in the food, in the sleeping bags,in the clothes,- just like my old one was really, but without the sand actually being provided by me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:( and actually i am as bad as them - my suitcase is full of sand from durban -how it got in there - who knows, as i still had my sandy beach clothes on when i got on the plane. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2018, 09:04:08 PM »
How's everyone doing?  Some cold bugs appear to be getting me, gradually getting more and more snotty and sneezy  :undecided: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #558 on: October 29, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
been a bit sniffly and caughy (is that actually a word)  myself over the weekend to the point i took the precaution of buying lemsip and benylyn to go in the cupboard - but so far have survived with hot ribena and honey - i know people reckon it doesnt work (usually the companys selling the above mentioned articles)  but honey does seem to have the effect of keeping these things at bay - fingers crossed i wont need to use  the other stuff.
I have also brocken my cardinal rule and lit the stove before November -but it has been very cold over the weekend - today is lovely though - sunny but frosty and the robin singing away first thing cheered me up - so for a monday morning -i,m fine - no doubt some-one at work will find a way of wrecking that  :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
Ive started taking sambucol at the first sign of sniffles and it seems to work most of the time. Its based on elderberries (I follow some people on instagram who say it's really easy to make your own by making a syrup from the berries, I might try that some time in the future)  I'm feeling a bit better this eve.   I dont bother with lemsip anymore, I use lemon juice and honey added to hot water, honey is antiseptic and seems to work wonders. Take along with a couple of paracetamol for what I suspect is a healthier version :-)

Today has been really cold, but has been an ok day.  Went to my tai chi class today, I'm getting a bit better at it - and it's surprising how much it works the muscles, really feeling it in my legs! Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #560 on: October 30, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »
i have an elder tree -  ( it was one of the things the new neighbours wanted me to remove -( yep i,m going to agree to that - because a 100 year old tree is nothing compared to your holiday cottage extension ) might be too late to grab this years berries though i usually leave them for the birds -( they might have to share next year (lol) - i did resort to the lemsip last night but drowned it with hot ribena and honey -cure all - not,  but i slept (lol) was very reluctant to get up this morning, however i have a deadline to meet and its looming large.

On a plus note though my Russian colleague just walked in and very kindly gave me a kindle fire he doesnt use any more - which means when i have worked it out, i will be able to get on the internet proper at weekends instead of relying on my unreliable phone.

Is Thai chi one of the gentler excercise classes - there wont be any here, but maybe something i could do via a dvd ?

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #561 on: October 30, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
I'm not very good at identifying my plants, I think I have an elder!! Birds always have all the berries at mo.  If you google lizzie loves healthy elderberry she talks about the benefits and gives a free recipe to make the syrup

Thats good news re the kindle fire :-)  :yahoo:

Tai Chi is interesting, its slow movements which surprisingly work your muscles alot (my thighs in particular really ached after) , but it also has a meditative effect. Im really enjoying it.  Theres quite alot of variations, I think we're doing Tai Chi Chi Gung, so has 'forms' but also the meditative moves. (There are other versions which include weapons etc)  I just picked up a dvd from my class so I can practice in between (I forget the moves by the time I get home). If its a good instructional dvd I'll let you know, I could always get a copy for you :-)  otherwise I'm sure there are good dvds out there.  Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #562 on: October 31, 2018, 10:22:41 AM »
I think the version with weapons might not be a good idea - might be tempted to use them  :rofl: but let me know about the DVD - i need something i can do at home.

Kindle fire was cursed last night - i cant set it up on my amazon acount without a code which they e-mail me  and i cant work out if you can have two things open so cant get my e-mail without closing amazon - so i get the code write it down go back to amazon and i,m back to the we need to send you a code screen - so they send you another code and the one you just wrote down is now the wrong one - something is missing some-where - but it could easilly be my brain cells. I will try again today on PC which has windows - so should eliminate this problem - maybe. -  :whistle:
last night though I decided to go back to my crochet its simpler - and keeps your knees warm - which is something you probably dont want a tablet or laptop to do. :rofl:

Elder would have had big  clusters of tiny white flowers on in the summer -then the flowers fade off and the berrys start to form on those cluster stems -the flowers can be used to make elder flower champagne - which is lovely (and not alcaholic) but then if you use them all for that,  you and the birds end up with no berrys - so there has to be a compromise .

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #563 on: October 31, 2018, 09:30:37 PM »
M
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:27:42 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #564 on: November 01, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
30 - wouldnt know i,m only 21.  :whistle:

I got too many sweets in for trick or treat - same amount as  usual but not so many children around -  this place is turning into a second home resort increasingly rapidly  :sad:. But this now leaves me with a dilemma - what ever am i going to do with all these sweets  :whistle: Well they say to eat healthy you should have a rainbow of colour - so i think maybe cheesy whatsits for main course and Haribo for pudding for the next week or so. :coffeetoast:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #565 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
How is everyone doing?  :hug:

Found myself fondly remembering children tv programmes the other day. Recalled one cartoon based programme, where you traveled into the body and little characters carried out body functions, like immune system etc. It was fun but also learnt alot.  I found out what it was - 'once upon a time - life'  found it on YouTube :-)  tempted to watch it again!

Got me chatting to a colleague, and remembered getting up on weekends to watch 'the herb garden'  anyone else reminisce about programmes from their childhood? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #566 on: December 04, 2018, 10:18:25 PM »
T
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:28:02 PM by GHOST »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #567 on: December 05, 2018, 07:22:54 AM »
Parsley the lion and Dill the dog! I loved their individual introduction songs.  Probably being daft but I've ordered a dvd of the herb garden! Lol   

I remember the banana splits, only remember a bit though.

My dad and I would get up and watch cartoons together on a weekend to start the morning, loved doing that to start a morning   :azn: 

Do you remember when they used to play a cartoon before a film in the cinema? :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #568 on: December 05, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »
 :rofl: being such a young thing - i of course remember none of this stuff  :whistle: - actually we didnt have a tv until i was about 9 and then it was an ancient black and white ex rental that was being chucked out, and it didnt go on that often - magic roundabout, the news, then corrie, then emmerdale farm came along later -my gran was in charge of the button - and it was a button no remotes - you switched it on then waited five minutes for it to warm up (lol)
but when i got older and we got a better tv on a monday night i got to stay up until 9.30 to watch colditz with my mum - which was a mega treat -because it was rare time with her undivided attention (she worked hard)  -  i still remember the theme tune to that. 

but i wasnt totally tv deprived as a kid i had a mate down the road with one so watched theirs quite a bit - in fact i think quite a lot of kids did because the house was always full of kids and we certainly wernt the only ones with no tv  -but i was told never to eat any food there, because the chickens were literally kept in the kitchen and rats were not unheard of - naturally i obeyed -( not ) and never got to discover the joys of eating a (very fresh) fried egg on a ryvita.

its a posh holiday house nowadays, but it was pretty rough back then -not just the kitchen the whole place - the back room had the tv and a massive sofa with the horse hair stuffing and springs, literally having to be stuffed back into what was left of the blue upholstery - The first rat i ever saw appeared on that sofa - we chased it outside with a broom  - that was it no other furnititure, no carpet, cushions on the floor to sit on when the settee was full - wallpaper hanging off - four kids of theirs plus three cousins who seemed to live there but never went to school, and every kid in the village who wanted to watch the tv filled it.The dad spent all his time in his workshop ( he was a joiner and part time minister - and we all thought he was joseph because he had a beard and wore an apron like we had seen in their picture bible  :rofl: ) The mum was always in the kitchen i dont remember ever seeing her any where else -she did a lot of baking and made jars full of lemonade - (which i am ashamed to say some of us avoided because we thought it looked like wee) there was a big range always lit but they didnt seem to have what we would call famiily meals, -  the kids -pretty much catered for themsleves dipping into the baking, un fettered by comments about sugar or spoiling your tea - but random dips into the pantry as well and just cooked whatever we wanted -  hence the fried eggs on ryvita :rofl:

When not watching the tv we pretty much ran riot round the house - it was the best house ever for hide and seek as nothing ever got thrown away - so there was plenty of stuff to hid behind and under - every social worker, and health visitors dream that house was (lol)  - and i,m pretty certain my mum never knew (beyond the chickens on the kitchen table she saw  when she walked past)  how filthy it was - but it was great fun for us.

Back to kids tv though I once had a look through my dvd collection and have to admit -the majority are kids ones - my excuse being the grandkids of course, but everything they watch has to be vetted by me - :whistle: cbeebies occasionally takes over my tv too - Bing is my absolute favourite but peppa pig is nice too.

The herb garden was cool but there was another called tales from the riverbank which as i remember it was centred round some rodents flying off in a hot air balloon - as an adult i dont really want to think about how they filmed that - did it involve dead rodents scattered all over the riverbank as they made a bid for freedom from the basket or was it camera trickery.

Anyway Emz go ahead and indulge yourself - i think with the exception of some of the US cartoons, generally it is so innocent it is good for us - stress free anyway.

I dont remeber dill being  particularly savage - even Parsley was a very friendly lion as he himself sang. sage the grumpy owl was my favourite of the animals - sir basil - anyone else see the similarity to Borris - but the gardener was cool -bayleaf the sciver - (and slight luddite)

you know what Emz i think its time i introduced the grandkids too it - they have missed out on that one - not entirely sure the 13 year old will appreciate it - but i can tie him too a chair or bribe him with biscuits - but the littlestboy  might - and babyAnna (who is three now) will be coming over in March. - hmm one to pop on the christmas presents to be kept at grandmas list. :whistle:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #569 on: December 05, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Trumpton yet...  Drew, Drew, Barnet McGrew..........
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~