Author Topic: Feeling depressed  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Kes1968

Feeling depressed
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »
Feeling depressed, combination of things really, bumpy start with Max,bless him he’s a dear little soul and I’m sure things will work out, it has made me question whether I was really ready for such a massive commitment and whether I had rushed into things, I’ll have to see how things go, he’s a dear little character, tummy upset, both of us and sleeping downstairs, worrying about him not liking being picked up, lack of human social contact for me and he’s obviously missing his mother and siblings. I’m making the best of it and I’m sure way down the line I’ll wonder what I ever worried about, he’ll be a super companion. It’s just me being selfish😭😭😭😭😭
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 07:26:04 AM by Kes1968 »

Offline Kes1968

Re: Feeling depressed
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
I don’t want to give him up, 😭😭😭

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:45:32 AM »
Try your best to relax with him.  Dogs are like little sponges, they absorb so much from us and pick up on emotions/feelings. If you're feeling stressed worrying about him, he's going to pick up that you're stressed/worried but he won't know how to respond to that, he'll be feeling a bit confused

I still find it now, if I'm stressed about going into work, even if I dont say or do anything particular my dog picks up on it and will have a restless night, getting me up to go to the toilet early hours of the morning.  My old dog would also sense it, if I was upset she'd come and snuggle into me.  They all have their different ways/responses, you are still learning about each other at the moment

Try not to focus on the picking him up, he's learning his independence (bit like a toddler), try and turn it into a fun inquisitive thing, explore being down at his level. Maybe get a comfy pillow or beanbag, closer to his level he will gain confidence in clambering on or around you. As he gets older I'm sure he will learn how comfy sofas are!  I had an alsatian cross years ago, she was never one for lying on the sofa or on my bed, but she gave the best cuddles - she'd walk up to me, put her head in my lap and wrap a front paw/leg around my legs

Its easier said than done, but try to relax.  Let things develop and be curious to watch all his personality quirks.  You're doing all the right things, getting some training/advice, try to loosen the grip a little and relax into it. Watch his little personality grow and shine.  You'll have a wonderful companion there  :hearts:  :hearts:

And we're always here for support and guidance xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »
And as soon as he has his jabs you can do puppy classes to meet others, and when out for walks you'll get to know others.  Dogs are great conversation starters!

How about joining a dog group on facebook? I'm a member of one and everyone chats about their dogs, shares photos, and share tips.  Will get you started chatting more and some groups organise walk meets  :hug: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
I’m missing my mum too and yesterday I made the mistake of looking at photos of my old home, which made me wistful for my old life with mum and Harry, when I didn’t have a care in the world, well that’s not strictly true but I’m being silly and should be thankful for all that I do have , including little Max here

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 07:51:48 AM »
I can totally understand that  :hug: :hearts:  you're on a bumpy bit of the rollercoaster.  Be gentle with yourself, easier days will come again, for now though increase your TLC.  You're still healing  :hug: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:11:12 AM »
And as soon as he has his jabs you can do puppy classes to meet others, and when out for walks you'll get to know others.  Dogs are great conversation starters!

How about joining a dog group on facebook? I'm a member of one and everyone chats about their dogs, shares photos, and share tips.  Will get you started chatting more and some groups organise walk meets  :hug: xx

Thanks emz for your kindness and not judging me or thinking I’m an awful person, I think I would miss the little monkey now if I had him rehomed 😭😭😭 it’s a learning process for both of us xxx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
The last thing I want is for Max to be unhappy 😭😭😢🐒🐒💕

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
There's no way you're an awful person! Having a puppy is very much a learning curve - and we just have to do our best  :smiley:  dogs very much live in the moment.  You're going to have a lovely best friend there and many fun adventures/explorations ahead  :hug: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 08:20:59 AM »
 :hug:thanks emz, we’re going to have an easy day today, I’m not going to do any active training with him, just snuggle and let him be/do what he wants xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »
He’s taken himself off into his soft crate and seems to be sleeping, he had a dicky tummy last night ( my fault, a lot of treats yesterday during training and a chew last night that was obviously too rich for him 😢). I’m sure he’s feeling a bit icky today and he’s not eaten yet 😢 I’ll keep an eye on him and consult the vet if he’s no better later/ tomorrow

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
R
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:28:39 PM by GHOST »

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
Thanks for that xx he’s been on wainwright’s large breed puppy dry food and Lily’s kitchen puppy wet food, I’m leaving off Lily’s kitchen as it might be too much for him yet. I phoned the vet this morning and they advised me to keep things bland food wise today, plain boiled rice or pasta or boiled chicken, I don’t have any chicken but I’ve boiled some macaroni pasta and left a little in his dish, I always make sure he has plenty of water, he’s touched nothing yet, not even the water 😢 so I’m thinking he’s still feeling icky. Hopefully he’ll perk up soon xx I steer clear of anything rawhide or pigs ears etc, anyway. I’ll buy a couple of nylabones I think from amazon for him to chew on. He had a lot of treats yesterday when I was training him so none of those for a day or two or at least until he’s back to normal xx I’ll phone the vet tomorrow if he’s not better. I caught him just in time last night trying to eat his poop 💩🤢🤢🤢 so obviously that hasn’t helped 😢😢🤢 poor little guy xxx🤢😢❤️🐒

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »
I talk to him all time too and gently stroking him xx he has tried to rip up the newspaper I had down as emergency puppy pads but I’ve got a fresh supply of puppy pads now xx

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
A
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:28:59 PM by GHOST »