General Category > General Discussion

Only just realised why I can't read long posts no matter how hard I try.

(1/2) > >>

longedge:
Chris was always an avid reader (worked in a library and only happy when surrounded by piles of books) and usually finished her first book on the plane when we went on holiday. I couldn't understand how she managed to read so quickly because I've always had to read a page several times over for it to register, any piece of text longer than a few lines has always been a struggle for me. I just thought it was the same for everyone and I simply wasn't trying hard enough.

I had a visit from a couple of ex colleagues recently. In conversation we found that we both had this same problem with reading and he said that it was a very mild form of dyslexia.

Nearly 72 years and I only just found out I'm a bit dyslexic   :rolleyes:  :smiley:.

Emz2014:
That must be reassuring, knowing its not that you're doing anything wrong, just that you see it a different way  :hearts: xx

longedge:
I have to laugh now thinking about the number of times we argued because I said she should slow down "because you can't possibly have read that properly, it's a waste of money buying a book and then just skipping through it!"  :smiley:

Sandra61:
Amazing! We're never too old to find out something new about ourselves! Until I lost my mum, I always thought I was a rather a pessimistic kind of person. The last year and a half since I lost her, however, have shown me I am more of a 'glass-half-full' kind of person instead! I guess we are all on a voyage of self discovery throughout our lives!

I think you can get help for dyslexia, Longedge. I wonder if it might be worth asking your GP about this? Might be worth a try.

longedge:
Thanks for the thought Sandra but I think I'm too set in my ways now. I manage very well by letting others do the work for me e.g. I get through a book every couple of days (audiobook that is  :rofl: ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version