Author Topic: Partners family have pushed me out  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Lacey

Partners family have pushed me out
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
Hi guys,
I lost my partner on the 16th of Feb unexpectedly.
We moved to a new city a year ago and lived together and very dependent on each other. We didn't see much of each others families as thats just how we both are!

He was driving home and crashed his car on the way so stopped over in a hotel as it was late at night and his car was written off. He had arranged for his mum to collect him in the morning to drop him back to our flat.
Unfortunately he never made it.

The problem I'm having is his mum cut all contact with me the day after and I dont know why! He doesnt have extended family so its just his mum I can contact and his mums partner. I'm just so angry and hurt because all these weeks down the line I feel like I cant grieve properly as I dont know what happened and was never told about a funeral.

It's so painful because I've just been left in this flat alone almost feels like I'm still waiting for my boyfriend to get home! I just wondered if anyone could offer some advice on what I should do..I cant go on not knowing. I feel so numb and empty and the person I spent everyday with has just gone like he was never even here!
Lacey

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Partners family have pushed me out
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »
 :hug: such a sad situation for you to be in,not just grieveing but being cut off like that - although of course his mum must be in a bad way as well - it is difficult to know what to advise, did you get on with her before ? - -

I lost a partner to cancer years ago and even though i certainly wasnt cut off the way you have been there are some elements i can relate too. I was Marks primary carer during his illness, he lived with me i spent weeks at hospitals with him etc etc - and in the end found myself being the one having to tell his parents that he wouldnt recover - afterwards i wondered whether in some way it was that which in the end turned them against me - had i said or done something the wrong way, could i have worded it better -  but i and they were there when he passed away.
Afterwards  they made their own way home - no offer of a lift and i had to ring a friend to collect me. I didnt hear from them again until the funeral was arranged, because as we were not legally married they were next of kin and i had no say. I saw the notice before they rang to say when it was.
I went to the funeral and it wasnt what i, or he would have chosen to do but it wasnt for me to say.
I went to the funeral tea and wasnt introduced to other relatives or sitting at the main table and ended up leaving very early with a couple of his mates who didnt like how i was being treated.
 I didnt hear from them again until they arrived to collect his car and guitar which was part of his estate. - so even though i knew what happened and had some communication with them i felt very sidelined and confused. A couple of years later i heard his mum had been praising the way i cared for him during his illness and not long afterwards i saw her - and she said she hadnt meant to do it, she felt awful about it now, but at the time, she couldnt deal with my grief on top of her own - and i really believe she meant that and it was genuinely the reason she cut me out.

But its different for you, you have too many unanswered questions and didnt get any communication about the funeral.I wonder if you could try writing too her - an old fashioned letter - tell her you cant begin to imagine just how devastated she must be to lose her son but  gently point out that you miss him too, his smile and his personality and credit her parenting with some of that,  just to try and get her to talk about him as he was, do you have some recent photos you you could make prints of for her - perhaps suggest that she might like to have a copy - (dont just send them in that first letter ask first)  perhaps then she might have to communicate if she does want them.

Looking at the date this happened and given the circumstances, it is possible that there may have had to be an inquest so the cause is not yet official - aternatively you may be able to see a copy of a death certificate.The death would have been registered locally to where it happened i think.

Aside from their reaction and the questions you need answered I would give some serious thought to creating your own memorial, which will help focus your grief on what the two of you had not on other aspects of his life and the anger and sadness you must be feeling in being on your own with his.

There are a few ways you could do this - from looking into planting a tree in a memorial woodland to something personal just to you - i planted native daffodil bulbs in the places we loved most when i lost my husband (not Mark, a more recent loss) - doing it forced me into  some kind of action,just the planning helped me think beyond the bubble of pain i was in,and now i can return too those places every spring and see them come up. I also decided i would live my life for him - do the things we loved doing do the things we said we would but never got round too for him, - so in a way he is always with me and he is always pushing me on to do more.

Offline Lacey

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Thank you for your lovely reply!

I think there would have been an inquest, however again I wasnt told about what would be happening. My dad actually managed to get hold of his mums partner today as I'm moving out the flat we shared and they wanted to collect some documents like his passport etc, however they weren't bothered about any sentimental items of his which I found odd. They told me dad the funeral was last week but was private and just for family, hence why I wasnt invited as I'm not family! He cut the conversation short with my dad and just left it that he would contact me in due course in regards to his stuff.

I think I will do my own memorial for him once I've moved! I would really desperately like to know what happened though and I dont think they  will be forthcoming - so there is another way I could find out for myself?

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 11:02:10 AM »
 :hug:It seem not only cruel but weird that they are doing this - if you were living together for a year it isnt as though yours was a casual relationship.

We arnt professional advisors here, but as far as i am aware, in the the UK civil registrations are public information - therefore you could probably get a copy of his death certificate from the registry office local to where he died. But they can be pretty ambiguous - for example it might say heart failure but without refference to the cause of that - so its not really going to answer your questions.
If there was an inquest then this too is on public record and again you need to contact the coroners office local to where it happend - or, because they could have requested a more local one, also where his mum lived. But if there was a post mortem  without an inquest then it remains with medical notes under confidential - in other words only the police with a warrant can access it.

However i would start by googling lists of local papers and searching their archives - there may be something there - although an inquest report might simply record a verdict again without detail - but at least you would know which coroners office it was held at.
I really dont know how else you could get information and i am not convinced that the official routes will do much more than present you with more questions. Maybe the partner might be more forthcoming when he collects the official papers -the passport -legally has to go back to the passport office and those sorting the estate are responsible for doing that -so technically he will have to do that at some point.(although in truth i dont think the passport office follow it up if you dont ) 

Would he talk more to your dad, is your dad likely to loose his rag or is he a good diplomat - perhaps he could get more out of him over a pint when he comes to collect it than you would - without knowing the people involved it is hard to say.
Also does he have any old friends who might know - because surely he didnt live his life completely in isolation  before meeting you.

Sorry i cant be more helpful. on the issues - but keep coming back and keep talking because  knowing the answers, if you find them, wont stop you gireving.:hug:

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
Hello Lacey,

So sorry to hear about what has happened to your boyfriend and what you have been going through since.  :hearts: Not knowing is very hard, I know. We had a similar experience with my uncle. My mother fell out with his wife years ago and his wife made sure we had no further contact with them after that. It really upset my mum for the rest of her life to have no contact with her brother. One of his children did contact us to tell us he had suffered a stroke some years later, but we were never able to find out what happened to him after that and my mum died not knowing. So I understand how upsetting this must be for you.

I can only echo what Karena has advised. My first thought was a letter also. I think a hand-written piece of paper conducts a more personal and genuine feel to what you want to say and if you phrase it carefully and put some expression of your own love and feelings into it, it may hit home a little and melt his mum's heart a bit. I think that is your best bet. You can cast around for official sources of information, but that is difficult and hard to navigate. Honesty and expression of emotion might get you further.

I would recommend a memorial too. A lot of people sponsor the placing of a bench at a place special to both of you and that would give you a place to go to to remember him too and a permanent memorial to him. There are lots of such benches in my local park and at special times of year, people put flowers on them as a tribute to a lost loved one. Just a thought.

Good luck with finding out what happened, but be prepared for the fact that you might not succeed. At least you will know that you tried though and you will always have your memories of your time together and no one can take those from you. Thinking of you..  :hearts: :hug: