Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147255 times)

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2018, 11:38:14 PM »
S
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:19:40 PM by GHOST »

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »
Yes there are lots of squirrels around, not my favourites at all because they snaffle all the food if they can. I've tried to protect against them with 'chicken wire'. I've had to re-think my defences though as I found a hedgehog that had got itself trapped a couple of mornings ago. Suppose it's easy to simply hang everything out of reach but I do like to cater for the ground feeders as well. I was surprised to see one out and about this early. In the past my security camera has caught foxes, badgers, squirrels, hedgehogs as well as 2 cats that regularly go out on the tiles together - I think it's a normal urban mix of fauna really. We moved into this house about 45 years ago when Chris aunt and uncle moved away. If they came back they would hardly recognise the village from the amount of buildings that have gone up since then. We had open fields on two sides originally but now it's all houses. Amazing how the wild animals adapt.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
S
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:20:05 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #438 on: February 13, 2018, 03:50:26 PM »
O got one of those camera traps for a trip to Kruger park -ooh i hear you say did you get leopards lions -no i got a grainy video of a porcupine and a shadow which could have been a leopard or could have been imagination -meanwhile the bushbabys i really wanted to capture were sitting in a tree behind the camera but between me and it so i couldnt get it.
Although to be fair the experience of actually seeing  them was worth a million photos.

I was laughing quietly too myself in the summer -we had a hedgehog in the work car park that was sitting in the sun (wow we had sun one day)  and not moving or curling up on being approached  -i decided it needed water, shade, and maybe a bit too eat rather than that it had been run over or anything -so put it in a cardboard box positioned on its side so it could get out if it wanted too, under a tree with a dish of water -but the only thing i had at home suitable for it to eat was the birds mealworms so nipped up and got them  -considering everyone lives in this rural area you could certainly tell from the horror a bag of dried mealworms brought too my colleagues faces  that they arent really rural people.  :rofl:Glad to say on this occasion the hedgehog had a rest and a drink, ate the lot, then trundled off on its route across a nearby field.

I think a mumuration is an amzing sight we had one a couple of years ago completely mesmerising.I couldnt believe when people started whining about the one down south somewhere the same year -the birds were too noisy and messy apparently  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Today i have finished working through the new software beginner guide for work and i can now draw a schematic using flow chart designer to create a timed array of different coloured LED display ligths on an arduino board - unfortunately where i shall ever use this new found skill in the real world remains a complete mystery. :rofl:
but never mind i shall now move on to finishing my course work on digital design for better user experience before going back to learning adobe after effects (which to be fair i may use in the real world at some point) have a peaceful evening everyone.  :hug:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #439 on: February 13, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Wildlife certainly does lift the mood :-)
There's squirrels here, just a couple of streets away there is a little woods area which has a path alongside and often see squirrels there. Love to see them bouncing around.  I did see a greater spotted woodpecker in my garden years ago, only managed to take a rubbish distant photo though.
I remember a few years ago my garden was full with a flock of birds, they looked a bit like huge/giant robins and were all feeding on the windfall apples - at the time we managed to work out it was a type of bird who were migrating to the UK, just passing through my garden for a snack.  Cant remember what the name was now though :-(  was so lovely to see/watch xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #440 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:29 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:20:30 PM by GHOST »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »
Just found I hadnt replied to your photos!  I have a bad habit of replying in my head and forgetting to type it out lol!

I was feeling really down and agitated as the day crept into evening, and as I find cooking/baking calming I thought I'd multi task - has been 2 hours in the kitchen but I have made a chilli, a soup for the week, bircher for tomorrow morning and tomorrows lunch!  Do feel bit more relaxed now.  Time to put feet up and eat now!

How is everyone doing today? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #442 on: February 26, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »
Freeeeezing. but invigorated after a trip too a budhist centre in cumbria - had lunch there with a friend, her daughter and grandson  which was lovely -everything -even a few crisps on the salad was home made.There are huge trees there in the woodlands which go down too a pebble beach. On the beach is a single crab apple tree -i thought it was special before when i went there because it is just so random. How does it pollinate -and how does the blossom survive in a wind which is almost constant even on a normal day and yet it had apples last time i came and is in bud now.
Then achieved a first on the way home yesterday -as the train i was suposed to catch didnt exist i ended up with an hour and a half to kill at Carnforth not a lot to do on a cold Sunday there -but there is a little museum at the station and a cafe - (the one they filmed brief encounter at) so having walked round the museum and then ventured onto the cold platform i was driven into the cafe sat in there and had coffee and cake -on my own - in a cafe.
(it seems i have eaten rather a lot of cake over the weekend as a whole  :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #443 on: February 26, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
Its gone soooo cold.  Walking to work from the car park this morning my knees were freezing!!
The buddhist centre sounds fabulous
Well done on the cafe!  :hug:  The first time I ever ate alone when out it felt like such an achievement, have done it a few times since and it has felt quite exhilarating each subsequent time (after the first!).  When I was on my own studying in York I actually grew to look forward to dinner in the restaurant,  including pudding.  :-)   my next challenge is the cinema on my own xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »
oooo lots of lovely snow today -only three of us made it into work so i might be manning the phones -hope no-one wants any technical answers or i will have to do my cleaner act -nah mate i,m just the cleaner -nah mate no one ere you,ll have to ring tomorow -its cos of the snow innit.
so far though the phone hasnt rung and the lads and i have been using the shed as snowball target practice -while the cats away and all that.

It was so cold last night though - i ended up going to bed early just to try and get warm  even though the stove was lit. problem is they draw cold air into the bottom to feed the flames and it seemed to be finding a lot of cold air last night that passes me on the way all not helped by me getting a cold so feeling shivery anyway.

made me think in that cafe -because its the one they filmed  brief encounter its all set up 1940,s style -but she must have gone too a cafe on her own back then, so it was ok to do that so at what point did it become a problem for me anyway.
Its a strange place divided into three the old original area which would have been the steam era -then on one side the west coast trains flying through with all the hurry of modernity -then the other side the local slow trains rambling off along the coast seems like a meeting place of such different lives -obviousely i had too much time to spare and started philosophising.(is that even a word  :rofl:)

oooh more snow coming down thick and fast -we already have a good 5 inches. best get a  :coffeetoast: before the electric goes.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #445 on: February 27, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »
That's a good point, when did it start for it to feel we couldn't do certain things alone. I know my sister wants to get out walking more and feels self conscious about doing it alone. (I shared the camera tip with her)  I still need to tackle a cinema alone

I went to the theatre on my own a while back, was scared initially but loved it. And was quite liberating that after the show I was able to leg it out of the theatre before the crowds as it was easier scooting through the crowd alone. Was interesting as I mentioned it to a friend afterwards, that I'd really wanted to see the show, wasnt sure if anyone would fancy it so went alone (I've previously missed seeing a band as whilst waiting to see who wanted to go the tickets had sold out) and she was shocked and said 'aww if you want to go again let me know first!!'   Once I'd settled into the show I loved it - most of the time it's dark and everyone is concentrating on the show and not you.  (My second show I even braved getting up for a dance as it turned out to be a blues brothers band not a show)

I like the word philosophising - and maybe its good for us to have those times for our brains to wander and ponder! :-)

We seemed to get away with no snow, then looked out at 4:30 to a blanket of white! 

Keep warm everyone xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #446 on: February 28, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
plenty of snow here -it managed to put down a few inches more last night - and there are some quite big drifts around - i also made he interesting discovery this morning that snow on boots and wooden floors are a lethal combination.Lucky nothing brocken as getting airlifted to A&E isnt my idea of fun -Helicopters terrify me.
I would probably go too a show in a big annonymous theatre -but after going too a local one on my own a few years ago and feeling very much like Billy no mates i wouldnt repeat that -i guess if people know you and still dont speak too you because you dont fit in their clik its worse than total strangers ignoring you. :rolleyes:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #447 on: February 28, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »
Hope you're ok karena  :hearts: take care out there

I agree, being ignored by people you know is worse than being around strangers, as thats more intentional. In a way I'm lucky as the only theatre near me is large, so plenty of strangers xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #448 on: March 01, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
Nothing brocken Emz.  :hug:
Its crazy day today drifting everywhere and still snowing hard on top of the ice from yesterdays snow - -We are currently cut off in all directions but at least we still have electric for now anyway.  There are still only the three of us at work -i think they should give us an extra week off to make up for it. :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #449 on: March 01, 2018, 12:57:19 PM »
I've just received an email that my office is shutting at 1pm and will remain closed tomorrow.  Thankfully I'm working from home today. Although has made me laugh - they've also told us that our remote connectivity is now almost at capacity so only log on if you're on incident - yet the advice to everyone is work from home?!?  Not entirely sure what to do now given majority of my work is online so needs connection! Lol

Its stopped snowing at moment but is supposed to be coming back in and getting worse.  Am now wondering if my food shop will arrive tomorrow lol! Xx
Hold on in there xx