Author Topic: Only just realised why I can't read long posts no matter how hard I try.  (Read 3754 times)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Chris was always an avid reader (worked in a library and only happy when surrounded by piles of books) and usually finished her first book on the plane when we went on holiday. I couldn't understand how she managed to read so quickly because I've always had to read a page several times over for it to register, any piece of text longer than a few lines has always been a struggle for me. I just thought it was the same for everyone and I simply wasn't trying hard enough.

I had a visit from a couple of ex colleagues recently. In conversation we found that we both had this same problem with reading and he said that it was a very mild form of dyslexia.

Nearly 72 years and I only just found out I'm a bit dyslexic   :rolleyes:  :smiley:.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
That must be reassuring, knowing its not that you're doing anything wrong, just that you see it a different way  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
I have to laugh now thinking about the number of times we argued because I said she should slow down "because you can't possibly have read that properly, it's a waste of money buying a book and then just skipping through it!"  :smiley:

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Amazing! We're never too old to find out something new about ourselves! Until I lost my mum, I always thought I was a rather a pessimistic kind of person. The last year and a half since I lost her, however, have shown me I am more of a 'glass-half-full' kind of person instead! I guess we are all on a voyage of self discovery throughout our lives!

I think you can get help for dyslexia, Longedge. I wonder if it might be worth asking your GP about this? Might be worth a try.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Thanks for the thought Sandra but I think I'm too set in my ways now. I manage very well by letting others do the work for me e.g. I get through a book every couple of days (audiobook that is  :rofl: ).

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
I have dyscalculia - after years and years of thinking i was stupid (and being called stupid ) it turns out there is such a thing and its not my stupidity but like dyslexia only with numbers.

I,m glad it has been recognised for the sake of youngsters now because it put a real  blight on my school years - back in the days of comprehensives and streaming the stream selections were based on maths ability -  so i was in the D stream (D for dunce) - which meant all the other subjects were at a D stream level too, science - we didnt do anything above very basic level science - no exams, no splitting off to physiscs chemistry etc - English - fair enough i was top but could have, and later did, get much more because i am quite good at that at least - but D stream werent allowed to do O levels.

Its never too late though i have learned a lot since then particulary with science,  thanks  Brian Cox and David Attenborugh,ecology and biology - thanks to futurelearn courses on environment.

Maths is still a bit of a blank though it is a real struggle - i dont know my own phone number, i cant read numbers that are over four places unless there is a comma - 12345 - to me reads one two three four five in single digits 12,345 reads twelve thousand 3 hundred and foty five etc.

Discovery about the condition came about when i was in dispatch at work - i couldnt put credit card numbers to the machine once they stopped leaving the gaps between them, the numbers just jumble up, and i had to break them down, moving a piece of paper over the top as i put each one of them in worked - but i was thinking it was my eye sight and the optition recognised what the problem was.

I am suposed to be doing GCSE maths next year - (i told my grandson i would do it the same time as him - just to try and encourage him to do his homework  :rofl:) so i am going to try and do something about it - not because i need too just because i,m stubborn.

But the best moment with going back to basic science , as i am surrounded by ex oxford and cambridge computer boffins at work, who think i,m generally a graphics design arty type of a completely different species too them , was when i discovered i was the only one who understood quantum physics (ok not to a high degree - no-one does yet) - but the basics.- some times going back and getting a bit of knowledge can be be priceless.  :rofl:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
That's a long post Karena  :rofl:.

It's a good job we're all different is what I say and we all have our strengths and weaknesses. The secret is to recognise what we are good at and play to it at an early stage in life.

My party trick is to get a pencil in both hands and then write with both simultaneously, mirror writing with the left and normal with the right. Apparently Leonardo Da Vinci could do it and he was a brigh spark as well  :laugh:.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
 :rofl:
sorry leonardo - i was trying to keep it short as well - something you may have noticed i am not very good at.