Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 2283 times)

Offline kateb

Introducing myself
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »
My son took his life almost 2years ago. Outwardly everyone thinks that I am beginning to come to terms with this but cannot get past the event itself and stuck with those memories rather than the happy ones. Struggling to know how to make sense of my life now and the new 'normal' we are faced with. Supporting everyone else takes my mind away but no space for me.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:04:55 PM »
Hi kateb. Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear of your tragic loss.

I cannot even begin to imagine how I would cope with losing one of my children under circumstances like that.

It helps me to write down my thoughts on this forum and know that I am not alone in my grieving and to get reassurance from the other users that what I am going through is 'normal'. Just the act of writing things down can help to clarify some of the thoughts running through my head.

Are you getting any help with your grieving with counselling or something similar. If not it may help you to get past being stuck with the bad memories and remember the happier times. There is a group called SOBS (Survivors of bereavement by suicide) who offer a helpline and have support groups in many locations.

Wishing you strength

:hug:

Offline Soleil

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:12:15 AM »
Hello Kateb,

I am so very sorry for this tragic loss. I have heard that so often that people think you have moved on with your life after a certain amount of time when you are still deep in grief. I assure you that here, that will not happen. You will have a way to write your feelings and will not be on any due date. We have all lost and we will all listen and support you. We can send virtual hugs and let you know you are not alone.   :hug:

Offline rajahh

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 08:51:53 AM »
Hi, I lost an adult daughter to suicide 7 years ago. I too look as though I cope and have " moved on "

I can still be overwhelmed by grief at the loss, it just hits. Me from time to time.

I did have counselling and it did help but was  tough too, sometimes I just cried the whole 45 minutes. My counselling started  18 months after her death, and was organised through my gp although there was a cost it was not the full rate.

How do you feel about asking your gp for  help in that way. Losing a child is hard enough but when it is to suicide it is almost impossible to accept.

Jeannette