Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Petal

• New Members
I'm new
« on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »
I've never written anything like this before, so apologies if I ramble on a bit.

I lost my Dad suddenly and unexpectedly 20 months ago, he was 68. Mum and Dad had been on holiday with us and less than 36 hours after getting home Mum rang us at 5 am and said those 3 words I never wanted to (and will never again) hear 'It's your Dad'. The paramedics were at their house and could I meet her at A&E. Dad had had a heart attack.  We had 11 days of visiting intensive care, he never regained consciousness and after a few days we were told he had suffered severe brain damage. A few days later was told nothing more they could do for him and was time to remove ventilation tube and let nature take its course. He passed away later that evening. Dad had never said he was feeling unwell, he never liked to make a fuss. One of the hardest things I had to do was tell my children (who were 5 & 8 at the time) their beloved Grandad was poorly and then had gone to heaven. My husband was very supportive (he had lost his Mum 8 years earlier). I still cannot believe its happened and he's gone.

Now, 20 months later, I'm still very emotional and the last couple of weeks I can't get to sleep because I keep thinking of Dad, which bring on sad thoughts and tears. I miss him so very much as we were close, always felt got on better with Dad than Mum - we seemed to have an understanding, and I find seeing others with their Dads hard to watch. My Mum is still finding it very hard, and fluctates between being very negative, full of self pity and emotional and trying to get on with her life. Being supportive for her is hard and I feel I don't want to put added burden on her grief with my grief. I feel that I cannot really talk about my grief as people don't understand why I'm still feeling like this, some people compare it to their grief when they've lost a grandparent or in-law. I feel that unless you've lost a parent or someone who you are extremely close to and regard as a parent they don't really get it. I've lost grandparents, who I was close to, but those feelings don't compare to the feelings I have now. (Sorry if I've offended anyone, wasn't my intention, it's just what I have experienced).

Reading other comments on this site today has made me feel a bit more normal, although as someone put it our normal is a different normal now. Sorry for rambling on.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
Sending you a welcome.  :hug:  Petal xx

Never ever be afraid to 'ramble on ' as you put it, believe me hun youre not rambling you are pouring your heart out to us and we all understand because weve been there ourselves, thats the beauty of this forum you can say things in here that you cant say to your loved ones xx
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Petal

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 10:35:55 AM »
Thanks Norma, took ages to type and lots of tissues used. Feel a bit lighter now done.
Glad you made it through the week OK. X  :hug:

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
Hiya Petal, Tissues were invented for us who have lost loved  ones  xx

:hearts:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:31:48 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:  like norma says, never a need to apologise for rambling. Here is a safe place we can talk about how we feel, to explore those thoughts we can't talk about with family etc. Talking with others who understand helps towards some healing
Losing a parent is life changing.  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
 :hug: Just a thought but I wonder whether it would help both you and your mum to talk about him together.Perhaps suggest the two of you make a memory book for the children.Even though doing that may prompt tears but also sharing memorys could inspire laughter too as you go back through the good times ,what made you laugh even what made you mad,little habits etc.In sharing those  memory's maybe you will become closer too each other. I think its important to remember the good things about the person you loved even though you miss them,because those are the things that mark their lives , the reason we loved them and no matter how much pain losing creates a life without them would not have been as good.
.Speaking from a widowed parents point of view I would not have been more upset that my daughter was also grieving and said how she felt.perhaps even relieved because maybe in turn your mum is afraid to upset you.

Offline Petal

• New Members
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot. 

Sending hugs to you all  :hug: