Author Topic: Recently bereaved  (Read 2115 times)

Offline DaveP

• New Members
Recently bereaved
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
It's now four weeks since my lovely Helen passed. We were together for 33 years. She had been ill for a long time with COPD and I was a full-time carer for her. We were managing the illness well. Helen always had a brave and positive attitude. She was writing a blog and book right up until the end. She went into hospital towards the end of May, which wasn't all that unusual. But this time, she didn't come home. She died in early June with me and my daughter (her stepdaughter)  by her side. The palliative care team were wonderful. Her passing was peaceful, beautiful even, and now it's true that her suffering is over.

Even though we knew her condition was terminal, we never quite believed it. I got through the funeral ceremony in a kind of daze. That was two weeks ago. Now life has gone back to normal for most people, but for me there's no "normal". Everything just seems bleak and horrible. I miss her so much.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Recently bereaved
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »
Hi DaveP welcome too the forum.I don't think any of us really believe our loved ones will die even when we are forewarned.and in caring for them we probably can't allow ourselves to consider it too much.There is always a thread of hope for a last minute breakthrough in medicine or a miracle .Life does go on for other people after the funeral  and some even consider we will too.They don't mean to be cruel they can't understand something they have not experienced and even if they have every grief is different.We will be here as long as you need us.It helps to share and it helps just to write down feelings we can't express verbally.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:02:42 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline WOODY

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »
Hi Dave, Welcome, but really sorry that, like all of us, you have to be here.
Anything you say here, on how you feel, you will not be judged by it, as we are all going through the same.
I have only recently joined the forum, I have found the people here, very helpful and very understanding.

Grief does not come with a user manual, so we don't have all the answers, but we can be there for each other and help the best we can.

Take care