Author Topic: Feeling completely overwhelmed and exhausted  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Overwhelmed

Feeling completely overwhelmed and exhausted
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »
My mum passed away about 3 months ago after a relatively short illness (3 months after diagnosis)
At first I was obviously sad but definitely thinking more of the others around me: my dad, my grandma, my daughter etc. I thought I'd prepared myself pretty well and didn't have any regrets with how much I'd seen her in the last few weeks and what we'd talked about.
Since then, I have fallen pregnant which is tinged with sadness that my mum didn't know she would be a grandma again. The rest of the family are happy and are hopeful but I'm am completely devastated. This baby was wanted but my anxiety levels are sky high and my husband isn't able to support me much because he is going through his own depression, possibly partly related to grief as well. This week I've also stopped sleeping. I'm already exhausted going through the first trimester nausea and tiredness but as soon as I wake up To go to the toilet or to settle my daughter that's it, I'm awake and in this sort of semi sleep state where I just have vivid dream after vivid dream mostly involving my mum. It makes me wake up tired and sad and every time I have to relive the fact that she's gone. I hate it.
Any tips for sleeping better whilst pregnant?

Offline Scared1

Re: Feeling completely overwhelmed and exhausted
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
Hi overwhelmed,
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mum. I can really understand how finding out you're pregnant since she passed must be very difficult. You naturally want to share moments like that with her.
I'm sure there will be some mums who will reply to your post who hopefully can offer suggestions on helping with sleep whilst pregnant.
I'm not a mum but can sympathise with the lack of sleep, it makes everything a million times harder doesn't it!  I too have dream after dream about my family members that have passed away and then when you wake up its like finding out all over again.
Have you asked your doctor about the sleeping, if not maybe they could suggest something. I'm currently trying all the natural sleep aids like lavender oil,  prebiotics,  valerian tablets (although I know for you these may not be an option whilst being pregnant).
Sorry I couldn't be of any help but just thought I'd reply so you know you're not alone  :hearts: xx