Author Topic: Hi, I'm new  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Thea

Hi, I'm new
« on: April 03, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
Hi all. My name is Thea and I am looking for someone to talk to. I live in East London, South Africa.
My partner of 28 years passed away at the end of November 2018 and all our friends seem to have disappeared. When I bump into any of them they all say the same thing "If you need me or want to talk, phone me" and then they vanish. Unfortunately I am the type of person that doesn't ask for help so I know I am to blame for being all alone and lonely. 

My partner went into hospital to have a four way heart bypass which was 100% successful. Two days later he had a massive stroke and passed away a week later.
I still cannot get my head around that he's not coming home. No one by me understands this, even less so four months later. 

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hi, I'm new
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »
Hello and welcome, Thea.

So sorry to hear what happened to your partner. You will find lots of people on this website who understand and are able to offer support and sympathy.

Sending you a welcome hug..xx :hug:

Offline Thea

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »
Thank you so much, Sandra   :grin:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:13:07 AM »
Welcome Thea. friends dispearing is something many of us have experienced i think they dont know what to do or say and so return to their normal lives theyre not being mean just that its a circumstance they cant relate too. Like you i was also not some-one who could ask for help - i had bereavement counselling when my husband died and told the councellor that, and she said that in a way we are hurting them by not asking - its like they offer us a gift and we dont take it - its not a physical gift but a gift of love, i didnt really understand that until later when a friend did that to me - so dont be afraid to pick up the phone - you dont have to ask for help just ring for a chat or to see if they want to come over or meet somewhere for a coffee. I have a link to South Africa i was not far from east London ( by south african distances) a few months ago in Port Edward area.I have a daughter son in law and grandaughter in the Kloof area close to Durban.I love being out there it is stunningly beautiful, and there are some amazing people, but i can also understand how being on your own there may have some extra difficultys we  think about more rarely in the UK,so its even more important to have people around you perhaps there than here.

Coming to this site definitely helped me because it was somewhere i could write but also get replies from people in the same boat, we are all at different stages of this roller coaster that is grief its been a few years for me now but that doesnt mean i have forgotten those early days - so keep coming back and keep talking we will be here as long as you need us.
Sometimes it is not just the pain and the big things we miss so we have an everyday chat section - just somewhere to talk about the everyday stuff that we would have said too our loved ones, it helps reduce the lonliness a bit. When i first came here i never imagined i would use that laughing emojie i thought it was a strange thing to have on a bereavement site but i use it a lot now because its a journey not just about grief but also about learning how to manage our lives and laugh at ourselves when we make mistakes.

Offline Thea

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 07:26:24 PM »
Hi Karena.
What you said about offers of help being gifts makes complete sense. I never thought of it like that. I will have to rethink my difficulty about asking for help. Unfortunately most of my friends work or they live so far away from me so I spend a lot of my time alone. I do work two mornings a week but even then I am alone in the office. I was at work this morning and I didn't see anyone until about noon.

My grief is taking a toll on me. I cry everyday for my partner, Des and there are times I cry for myself and the situation I am in. I even talk out loud just to hear the sound of a voice even if it is my own. 

I will come here often because, even if I don't say much, just reading the advice given to other people will help me. I already feel a bit better knowing that here, I'm not alone. 

Durban area is very beautiful. Because of the humidity everything is so lush and green. Des and I went there one year for a long weekend and I was very sad to come home again.