Author Topic: Don't know where to start 🤔  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Jo Jo

Don't know where to start 🤔
« on: April 08, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
Hello, as the title says, I really don't know quite where to start. I have had a lot of loss over the years, but nothing on the scale of the last five years. Firstly, I was hospitalised for three weeks, with the loss of sight in one eye as the outcome, that's where depression started creeping in. I was having a few marital problems, and ended up separating from my husband after 30 years together just a few months later, at the same time as my baby brother was diagnosed with terminal renal cell carcinoma and given six months to live. Watching my brother deteriorate and waste away before my eyes made me feel so utterly helpless and useless. In the years following, I have also now lost another 9 close family members and 7 friends, my dog and 19 pet ferrets! The latest one to die, and possibly the most painful ever, is my beautiful mum, aged just 70 years.
I finally hit crisis point on mothers day this year, and suffered a nervous breakdown 😔
I am finding it extremely hard to lift out of the depression, cannot see a way forward, and am fighting the urge to just lay down and give up. I have never felt so very alone and isolated in my entire life. I guess this is what led me to this site. I realise I can no longer expect to just do this completely alone.
I have read a couple of your stories, and I just want to wrap my arms around all of you to take your pain away 🙁
I look forward to getting to know some of you, thank you for reading, sorry it is a little long winded!

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Don't know where to start 🤔
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Oh! So very sorry, Jo Jo! I am so sad to hear your story, you have been through so much!

I have not been through as much loss as you, but arrived here after losing my mum about eighteen months ago and I recall the main thing I felt most when I joined was that I finally felt less isolated and alone. It was such a comfort to know that others understood how I was feeling and what I was going through, so I would say the same to you, Jo Jo. You are not alone. Everyone here will understand what you are going through. We are all here because of different kinds of losses, but the experiences we have are all similar and here you can say whatever you feel and no one judges you or has any particular expectations. Frankly, I don't know how you have gone through all this alone to date! I think you need support to go through any loss.

I had a friend who died of cancer of the bone marrow when we were both just sixteen, so I know how hard it is to watch someone young wasting away. I still think of her often and the waste of such a promising future is such a tragedy. I have also lost both my parents, a few friends and several beloved cats, so quite understand how you feel.

I hope you find as much help and support here as I have. Keep talking to us and you can also use the Facebook group and the chat room in the evenings if you want to talk to someone. There is usually someone around to respond, whatever the time of day or night!

Sending you strength and a welcome hug..xx  :hearts: :hug: :hug:

Offline Jo Jo

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »
Thank you so very much for your reply and warm wishes! It is definitely the feeling of isolation and loneliness that is very hard to bear. I am finding it hard to leave the house currently, so often do not see another face or talk to another human being,  for between 7 to 10 days! I think I find this the hardest part, I am usually a very sociable person 😏

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
Jo Jo, I know how hard it is to make yourself do anything - even getting up in the morning - when you are feeling so down, but I honestly think not going out of the house is the worst thing you can do when you are going through such a bad time.

I found I needed strategies to help myself through this horrible experience. At first it was just little things, like having flowers around. I found their beauty and scent gave me a little bit of pleasure and reminded me that there are still good things in the world. Walks in the park seemed to help for much the same reason. I enjoyed being in a calm pretty place where I could sit and gather my thoughts and explore my feelings. I know others feel the same. But what has helped me most and continues to help me most was joining a class.

i knew I needed to have something else in my life other than loneliness and grief or I would go crazy, so I took up a new interest that my mum used to enjoy too and it was the best thing I could ever have done. I still go, eighteen months on. It gave me something to look forward to. It made me think about something else, if only for a couple of hours a week. It took me out of myself and my own situation and made me engage with life again. Also, I have made some wonderful new friends there who have been so supportive and without whom I really wonder how I would ever have got this far. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I think you need something to make you think about something else for a while, when you are going through any kind of grief. let alone the multiple losses that have led you here. Grief is exhausting and stressful and not something you can get through alone or without anything to look forward to, even if the only relief you get lasts for only an hour or so. You may feel dreadful, but you are still alive and life is for living. Those you have lost I am sure would want you to make the most of your life, while you still can! They wouldn't want you to be so unhappy, so, in memory of them, if nothing else, live and make the most of your time, as a tribute to their memory.

In my experience, you don't get to feel any better unless you try to help yourself a little. You have to keep trying to find things that help you until you find something that works. It will probably be something different for everyone, but that is ok, as long as it makes you feel a bit better, even if only for a while.

Sending you strength and hugs, Jo Jo..xx :hearts: :hug: :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »
before my husband died we were mooching around a craft fair and there was a lady there making rag rugs - we got chatting and i asked how she got into it - her husband had died, and she was having one of those nights wondering aimlessly round the house trying to find something to occupy her to fill the empty void and decided to clean her loft out (as you do) - she came across her grandmas old rug making stuff and a half finished one and decided to learn how to do it and then finish it -but then found doing it quite soothing, so made more.
She had a son living abroad and on visiting him and taking a rug found his maid intrigued by it so promised next time she came she would bring some stuff and show her how to do it. By the time i met her she was going out there once a year and running classes for girls in the poor villages around his complex - she said she found it wonderul how when they were mostly employed in that country in sweat shops making cheap clothes which were exported too us, she was taking them back too the girls in her suitcase and they were being used again and some of the girls were able to work independantly and get more for those clothes in their rug form than they ever got in the factory .Some they sold locally,to the people working in the complex or tourists -and  some (those that would fit in now empty luggage) she bought off them herself and they were there on her stall in the craft fair. 

I never forgot that  becuse the sheme itself  made so much sense to me, and even though i didnt have a handy half finished rug in the loft, when my husband died, her story was one of the things which gave me some strength,knowing that we can find a way out of the pit of despair, and even if we come across it by accident,it can help us begin to create that new life, not leaving them behind but taking them forward with us.

Mine wasnt a handy rug in a loft but also, by accident of a free on-line course i did to fill empty time, discovering i had the skills to support from here, a school gardens project in Africa - which means those children not only get a more balanced meal in school but take those skills and replicate them back in their communitys -and instead of learning from shared and out of dateold  books in stifflingly hot classrooms they have outdoor classrooms within those gardens, where the skills of food growing and the gardens themselves extend their education into just about every other area,engineering,(water in particular ) - biology,maths, book -keeping,Literature and Art - its not them trying to turn the children into peasant farmers, although growing food is still a valuable skill where there is such poverty, - but everything that goes with it, is experience for all those other subjects.

I have visited one of the projects since, and they are amazing - my part is very small - i do graphics and writing for their marketing/money raising - but still it makes me part of something i think is worthwhile - and i know my husband would have too as he did a project teaching engineering in Egypt years ago and taught deprived kids over here too  -  it doesnt take away grief, but it puts a smile on my face to see the smiles on those kids.
I,m not some-one who joins things tried and failed and to be fair to those organisations , it was at the behest of others and not things i found very interesting plus the clicks of those people were already well established - there is nothing here to join that does attract me, but even from that lonely place and an online course, i have managed to find something where i can fit,  and it makes life better

That lady has no idea how, what she did in her grief influenced me to do something as well, but both of us have gone from that lonely place and feeling of pointlessness  to becoming more confident and more active.

It takes time though to find that thing and sometimes we might think we found something and find it is a dead end - so we have to look for something else - but Sandra is right when you do find anything at all which can take you somewhere outside your grief for a while,  it makes such a difference,and you will find something, maybe nothing like Sandras or mine or the rug lady,but eventually something that grabs you.  :hug:

Offline green dragon

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
Thank you so very much for your reply and warm wishes! It is definitely the feeling of isolation and loneliness that is very hard to bear. I am finding it hard to leave the house currently, so often do not see another face or talk to another human being,  for between 7 to 10 days! I think I find this the hardest part, I am usually a very sociable person 😏

Hi, Jo Jo, terribly sorry to hear about your loss. I can't wrap my mind around it all... But I found it is really good to force yourself to get out of the house. Even a short walk to the shops will make a difference. At the beginning you have to sort of be ruthless with yourself and tell yourself you need to go out and that's that. Anyway, I hope that will make a difference, as it did for me. I don't mean to imply that would work for everyone but I am fairly certain it can't hurt and especially sociable people benefit from it.

One day I ran into this lady by the canal and we both had a short but very welcome and unforced conversation about the the swans present. Another day someone just randomly said hello to me. Another day still I bonded with passers by over a couple of friendly cats. What I'm trying to say is, it may not just be a walk but also a chance of interaction with animals or other people, something small but that will make you feel better even for a short while.

I am also an animal lover and have always enjoyed "catching up" with the cats, dogs, foxes, water fowl and whathaveyou in the neighbourhoods where I have lived over the years. Yesterday was a particularly fruitful day in this regard: not only did all three of my friend's rabbits rush to me, but so did a couple of random cats in the neighbourhood. I've always attracted animals but since my Mum's passing it seems I'm putting out some sort of (needy?) vibes where animals are more willing than ever to "visit" with me. So think about it - this could be you on a day out :-)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 09:06:26 PM »
I have found nature and animals a great help on my journey. I began feeding the birds in my garden each morning, and thats become part of my day I look forward to - it brings me a feeling of peace each time xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Jo Jo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 01:39:48 PM »
I too rely on nature and animals to try and see some good in a day. One of my favourite things to do is watch the sunrise and the sunset, I am trying to see the beauty in them once again 😊 some days the struggle is beyond me, but I will take the good days as they come right now 😎 having had so many losses, I know this darkness will pass to some degree, but boyyyy is a fight for now 😏 xx

Offline green dragon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »
Nature is wonderful and life affirming, isn't it? Today on my daily walk I found the baby coots had hatched! They are the cutest, with their tiny orange heads.

Hang in there, Jo Jo :-)

Offline Jo Jo

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
Aww that sounds awesome 🙂 I need to get out to my local country park and take a walk, see what I can see 🙂 xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
sometimes we dont need to go out to the country to see nature it is there even in the city - we dont always see it but i have learned to look for it - from a single weed holding on determindly despite everything that has been thrown at it -or a pigeon going about its every day activity while the rush and haste of unseeing people is all around it,- because nature offered me so much and one of the coping mechanisms i used was to find five things a day to make me - if not smile at least take heart, i found i was seeing nature so much more than i had done before.