Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147241 times)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #390 on: October 16, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »
i took the white outsides off
Am I the only one who eats the rind? My family throw their hands up in horror at me especially when I put a thin coating of jam on my bread before adding the Brie, nice thick wedges preferably well matured and a bit runny. Not made any soups yet this year but I'm going shopping later, think I'll get a selection of veges and make some of my favourite "Bet you don't know what's in this" soup.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #391 on: October 16, 2017, 07:25:28 PM »
Is brie rind like camembert rind?  I eat camembert rind :-)
Not that experienced with brie, have had it in sandwiches before but I've not usually prepared them

What a day - spent the entire day on a job application  :shocked:  there are so many things have to refer to, the wording in the advert, particular 'buzz words' they expect and each capability has around 8 points you also have to fulfil with your answer.  Its truly draining! Whilst everyone seems to have their own opinion too!

Hope Monday has been kind to everyone.  We had very yellow/orange heavy skies today, which was rather eerie and caused quite a few discussions at work today xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #392 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:40 PM »
Is brie rind like camembert rind?  I eat camembert rind

I tell everybody it's the best bit  :smiley:. The only rinds I don't eat are waxed e.g. Gouda and Edam (and though they don't taste good they won't hurt you  :smiley: )

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #393 on: October 16, 2017, 10:50:41 PM »
And definitely don't eat the rind of babybel!  :rofl:  :hearts: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #394 on: October 17, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
only took the rind off because i thought it wouldnt melt down i do normally eat it.
also had the red sun and amber sky yesterday it did feel strange but then the day started with a swallow flying north so i knew something was odd. Then wind last night which is just dying down now. Opened the door this morning and the porch was full of leaves -which then blew through the open door behind me -guess i,m cleaning up tonight  :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #395 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
Hiya, how is everyone this eve?

I popped out for lunch today and decided to be brave, to order something I've not had before.  Went for a brie, smoked bacon and cranberry sauce toasted sandwich - and it was absolutely delicious!!  I shall be having that again!  :-) 

Have had a nice relaxing day, when I went out first thing to put the food out for the birds a robin was my first visitor. Love to see them fly down, makes a much more positive start to the day

Didnt see much of the effects of the storm everyone had been warning about, although have noticed it is suddenly alot colder now xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #396 on: October 23, 2017, 07:32:07 PM »
Evening.your toastie sounds good.I havnt seen scruffy for a couple of days but seem to have gained a robin.
I don't think the storm was a bad as predicted certainly not as bad as some of the more hysterical papers were saying,but the weekend wouldn't have been much fun if I had gone,from what I,be seen they were having to get towed off on Sunday,and the entire weekend took place in the pub,luxury for some but not really my thing,there,s only so long I can make a diet coke last. :rofl:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2017, 01:10:11 PM »
Good morning all,

The birds are back in force and this morning I've had Blackbirds, Robins, Blue Tits, Coal Tit (I think - got a very distinct orangey tinge to it's side and chest) and flocks of squabbling Sparrows. I'm beginning to think it's going to cost me as much to feed them as I spend on my own food  :smiley:.

I've now put the garden to bed and I'm hoping that I won't have to cut the lawns again this year - I think that should be "hoping against hope", I suspect the mower will have at least one more outing yet. When I was clearing my bean row I found some new plants that had grown from seed that had fallen out of overlooked pods. I didn't have the heart to pull them out but they've got no chance really.

Seond anniversary came and went recently and although I tell everyone "it's just another day", it did dredge up some very sad memories. I forced myself to push them out of my mind by deliberately thinking about and remembering our happy times.

p.s. forgot to mention also had a Nuthatch. I hope it sticks around.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:36:09 PM by longedge »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »
You have been busy.I suspect I already spend more on bird food than my own,but they're worth it.I havnt had the weather for putting the garden to bed.There is only the weekends when I am here in daylight.Maybe this weekend.Raised beds need sorting but spinach has found its second wind in one of them.The other has butternut squash but it was so late doing anything and already had frost a few times.I might try insulating them but like you with the beans have little hope.
 :hug: I know we tell ourselves its just another day,but it never really is.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
I ran out of peanuts the other day so made a trip out to get more, ended up buying a big bag of fat balls too.  But do enjoy seeing the birds - i look forward to popping out in the morning to throw a handful of suet pellets. Something positive to start the day off :-)

Sending a hug, 2nd anniversaries are tough.  Hold those good memories close xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #400 on: November 02, 2017, 10:48:05 PM »
I've found that my local "The Range" outlet is good for 'fat balls' I bought a large tub of them last year but they've all gone. Perhaps a reason to get out of the house tomorrow to get some more :smiley:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #401 on: November 03, 2017, 12:15:31 PM »
I'm also not sure if I'm training the birds to come to my garden for food or if they are training me to keep bringing more food out. Often, if I'm at home during the day I then see doves turn up, lined up on the fence, which makes me go out to put more food out for them.  Or the sparrows guilt me too, if I'm out there with the dog later in the day they sometimes start flying over to the fence/flying to sit near where I am and giving me a look as if to say 'awww all this mornings food has gone.....'  lol! Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #402 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
Oh I am pretty sure they know exactly what they are doing.I get guilt trips about going away now.I will spend a fortune in extra food  and fat balls to hang in multiple units all over the garden hoping they will ration them out ( and knowing they probably won't.Someone should invent a bird feeder with a daily release mechanism like they have for fish tanks.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »
Yep, I'm pretty sure mine dont get the 'please ration your food, I cant top it up for a while' message either :-) (also known as putting out as much as I can!) :-)

This year I'd like to have a go at the Christmas bird feeder idea you do. Unfortunately world war 3 kicked off between my partner and my sister & her partner a few months ago so another blow to Christmas (Christmas used to be focused around dad and were the best ever, since then we've tried to keep it going at my sisters).  Looks like we'll be having separate Christmases now, so am trying to think of new things to introduce so we can feel it is different to a normal day but not totally Christmassy.  Have abandoned the present idea, and have jointly bought some board games for over that time instead. A friend and her mum are going to come over at some point to play a game too

Anyway - sorry for raising the C word :-o

It's chilly here but skies are quite clear and sun is out, so looks like it will be a nice crisp Autumn day.  Need to plant the hedging roses I bought (they turned up yesterday) and replant my rose in my little dog memorial garden into a bigger pot. (Decorative section with pebbles, slate, gravel etc - which has all the bunnies, hamsters from over the years and my dogs)
hope everyone is doing ok? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
Oh no,family fall outs are awful.but even more so when Xmas is involved.
it has been really cold here the last few days as in frost that didn't quite melt in the sun.I gave the grass a last Strim this afternoon but there is quite a bit more I should have done ,I came in,finally gave in and lit the stove.then made a pan of ministrone ish soup.Yesterday I started packing,but having spoken too my eldest tonight,where we are staying there are lots of little artisan shops,crafts art but also local made clothes.So I,m reckoning on a large half empty suitcase outwards which will be full on return.

This morning scruffy appeared first thing but a male blackbird has cottoned on too our relationship and muscled in.He isn't quite as tame as her,so he would chase her under the chair grab some of her food then disappear as soon as I stepped off the doorstep which gave her chance to get some.As soon as I stepped back he re appeared.So I thought I will throw some down separate for him.But he wasn't falling for that.Out witted by a blackbird I then spent quite a lot of time stepping on and off the doorstep as they took it in turns.Brings a whole new meaning too step aerobics. :rofl: