Author Topic: Cooking for one? Sad  (Read 13049 times)

Offline Rolande

Cooking for one? Sad
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
I love cooking and cooking for Charles was wonderful as he was so appreciative. But now, I find it so depressing. I've tried already made meals and I don't enjoy any of them. Peanut butter is a saviour quite often. How sad is that!!

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Cooking for one? Sad
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
I do agree with you Rolande it seems so pointless. But youre right ready meals arent good, cant beat home cooked meals, ive got a freezer full of freezer boxes with meals  ive cooked and froze half of it, but even then its not the same, my saviour is sandwiches, toasties, meatballs and pasta, although i have found a few ready meals that are more palatable than others xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Badger55

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
I too used to love cooking for Simon.  He had bought me a great cook book I wanted for Christmas.  At the moment I seem to be doing a lot of jacket potatoes and other veg in the microwave, and ready meals.  I cannot face the thought of cooking just yet either.  I also used to enjoy baking bread in the bread maker he bought me.  Cannot do that yet either. 

I just want to let you know that you are not alone Rolande.

Sending you much love
Badger
 :hearts:

Offline Rolande

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
Thank you for your replies Norma and Badger55. It does help to know I'm not alone. I suppose that makes me selfish..

Last night I cooked salmon fillets (for 2) so tonight it's cold salmon and salad. I'll get there.. I've made a big vegetable soup and froze in single portions, that's my lunch sorted for a few days.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
Its not selfish Rolande, it's totally human  :hug:

If you're able to do some cooking, that's great as your body will need as much nutrient as it can get, grieving is exhausting for our bodies.  Some foods in particular can help our minds,  omega 3 has been found to help with anxiety, depression and stress, so whilst it can't make everything better a little bit in your diet can only be a good thing.

Maybe when you feel up to it try cooking different things, so it feels less routine?

Sending a big hug to you all xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:44:20 PM »
Ready meals. Yeeuch. How many of those have I eaten? They get us by but they aren't really good are they? I still use them, and the chippy, far too much.

I really miss having proper food every night.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
Such a shame we're all spread out, wouldn't it be nice to gather together and cook for small groups/each other - more of a purpose in cooking and the understanding company, with those feeling more able to cook at the moment taking the lead each time xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Rolande

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
It would be nice Emz2014 to cook for people that are in the same boat so to speak.

Don't know what happened to me this morning but I baked bread!! I haven't baked bread for years and years. Last year Charles bought me a thermomix machine because I have arthritis in my hands and Thelma (I call her) is brilliant for chopping and all sorts. Maybe it was reading the post of Badger (if I'm correct) about her bread machine. When my son called and then my daughter, I could almost hear a sigh of relief from them..mum is getting better. For today anyway. Whatever next?

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
I don't lay claim to be any sort of a chef but I'm a mean hand with the slow cooker. I used to bake all my own bread as well but I've had to stop now I'm diabetic I can't carry on eating the best part of a 1.5lb loaf before it's even had a chance to go cold  :grin:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »
Okay George youre the first on Emz list for a dinner party chef lol x

:rofl:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »
That's great Rolande about the bread :-) there's something really comforting about the smell of fresh bread cooking.  I must dig my bread maker out again, havent made a loaf for a few months,  but think I've finally mastered gluten free now xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Badger55

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Glad that you have made some bread Rolande.  I will make some too now that you have.  Probably this weekend.

Much love
Badger

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
Hope your bread goes well Badger.  We may not be able to cook for each other, but at least we can encourage, share and inspire each other here  :hug:

If you come across, or develop, a great way to make a healthy meal with little fuss, maybe share it here - lets help each other get the nutrients needed, or a bit of motivation to make something :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »
cooking for one is still something i struggle with and as you say ready meals are a bit dire.

During the week i get soup and a roll from the bakery at lunch breaks and eat at my desk then have something easy for tea -i once set myself a challenge to see how many things i could think of to have on toast,and in summer how many different salads i could make.Also i sometimes make a big pot of veggie stew on a sunday have some , then microwave portions for the next few days.

I did discover though that breadmakers can be used to make cakes and jam too, and mine is a good size for a cake for 1.

Also i have a cook book my daughter got me - which was written by a cook in a budhist retreat.Its got really nice and unusual recipes but very simple and its more than just a cook book but has some philosophy in it so i,m more likely to pick it up than a bog standard recipe book - They can use something as simple as peeling potatoes as a way to practice -what we would now call mindfulness -you focus purely on the potatoe and the act of peeling it -sounds bizare but it can be quite relaxing and a good way to stop the jumble brainfog that drives you mad in grief even if just for a short time respite is good.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
I find cooking has turned into my mindfulness karena :-)  I actually enjoy prepping veg to go into meals now, and sometimes 'challenge' myself on how many i can fit in, or how colourful i can make it.  Just paying attention to the actions does give your mind respite from churning thoughts and/or stressful/fast paced day (I find it does for me)  I can also listen to an entire cd during the process so am fitting more music back into my life, and I love how powerful music can be and its effect on moods xx
Hold on in there xx