Author Topic: Anxiety after father passed.  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Jackhawk

Anxiety after father passed.
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:20:59 PM »
Hi all,
I lost my dad in January suddenly and since April time have suffered with severe anxeity and panic attacks.
They are so bad i have ended up at A&E numerous times thinking im dying or having heart attack.
Feeling so lost and tired, dont know which way to turn.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Anxiety after father passed.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:35 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:
Losing such a significant person in our lives is overwhelming.  The grief journey is a rollercoaster but it does become easier in time.  Learning a calming breathing technique will help - as things feel they are building or about to swamp you, engaging the breathing will help you to calm.  I can talk you through one I use (with great results), or googling 'calming breathing exercises' will bring up a variety you can try xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Gingey

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »
Welcome to the group, so sorry for your loss, sending a welcome hug :hug:
I sempathise with you, I lost my.husband of over 40 years in July 16 and have suffered bouts of severe anxiety since. It is a horrible feeling and affects day to day life which.is hard enough wgen grieving a much missed loved one.
Read lots of posts on this site and you will find that you are not alone in your feelings.
I dont think that  Christmas looming helps any. Please post ad often as you want
Have just read Emz post. Am interested in the breathing exercise mentioned
 :hug:

Offline Jackhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
Thank you for the replies.
I find it so hard to talk about and like you said Christmas dont help as this was also the last time i seen him.
I am very interested in the breathing techniques.
Thank you again, this site doesnt make me feel alone.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »
The breathing technique I use is called 7:11.  Breathing deeply (i.e. ensuring from diaphragm - so belly moves too, not shallow breathing from top of lungs only), breathe in to the count of 7, and breathe out to the count of 11.  The aim is to make the out breath longer, as this engages the bodies natural relaxation response.
If these numbers are too long, can adjust - for example count to 3 in and 5 out, as long as out breath is longer
Keep doing it for a few minutes at least

If dealing with panics, it helps to practice this breathing at other times, so when you feel a panic rising it will feel familiar to do and easier to remember at the time (try and practice for a few mins to 10 mins, whatever feels right for you)

If you are quite a visual person, could find a rectangle in your surroundings (window frame etc, be creative), and scan your eyes around the shape at a steady pace, breathing in on short side, breathing out on long side.  That can help to add distraction, if you can distract your mind that can help keep the panic away too

I suffered panic attacks last Christmas when I was ill, and this helped so much.  I found it sometimes helped to get out and do in fresh air too (stepping out in the garden)  the more you do it, the more you feel in control of your body and reactions, which also helps control panic attacks too  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Gingey

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Thanks Emz for reply and sharing.
Will give a try
 :hug: