Author Topic: Hallo everyone. I’m new.  (Read 1832 times)

Offline caroleb

• New Members
Hallo everyone. I’m new.
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:45:26 AM »
Hallo all,

I’m Carole and my husband Kenny died at the age of 46 on Monday after being ill for 2 1/2 years. I feel like I’m in a bit of a time warp at the moment and that I’m holding my grief at bay. I’m stressed about what to do with the cars as I don’t drive which seems ridiculous. Everything else I feel I can sort out ok it’s just the flipping car situation that’s getting me down. I know this sounds stupid.

I have a good friend close by that I can call on for anything which is good but it just seems so weird that Kenny is not here, it’s like he’s at work. I suppose I am just trying to process everything, I was his full time carer for a year and for that to just stop is very difficult. There were times when he was ill that I just longed to able to sit downstairs for an hour and watch one of my programmes on the telly. Well now I can do that all day if I want but it’s all wrong, I feel guilty for doing it! Kenny was also very private about his illness and his family didn’t know, he had been estranged from them for nearly 8 years, he didn’t even want them to know when he had died. I respected his wishes when he was alive but I have told them he has died. They have been great although it has been a terrible shock for them, but part of me feels that I’ve betrayed him by telling them and although I know that I have to live my life as I see best now and make my own decisions, it does feel like I’ve let him down.

I honestly don’t know how I feel, grief is so hard you can’t brace yourself against it, you just have to go with the flow. I suppose I am frightened in a way.

Anyway I am trying my best because that is what Kenny did but it is difficult being just me now, we were married for 21 years how do you just get back to being you alone?

Take care all

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hallo everyone. I’m new.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 08:40:56 AM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:

There are so many facets to grief, and all that you describe sounds familiae. Try to be gentle with yourself, i hope you find the forum a support xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 12:27:17 PM »
Hello Carole,

So sorry you have reason to come and find us. I am so sorry to hear about your husband Kenny. 46 is no age. I am glad you were lucky enough to have had more than twenty years together though. The depth of feeling you had for him comes across in your post, so I am guessing you must have a treasure trove of memories to help you in finding your way into your future.

I am sure it is quite normal to feel frightened. You've suffered a huge upheaval in your life and a change of circumstances that must feel unreal to you at the moment, plus you are processing that and missing Kenny, so it will take time to reach acceptance and understanding of all that, quite apart from finding a way forward. So as Emz advises, just be gentle with yourself for now. It is a huge change for you.

I was my mother's carer for many years and also felt somewhat at sea after I lost her too. Suddenly there are a lot of things you don't need to do anymore and I recall, a few months after she'd died, watching a comedy show that she used to love and sitting there, part of my mind enjoying the show and finding it funny, whilst also sitting there in floods of tears, because she wasn't there to see it too. It wasn't that I felt guilty, but just that I missed her being there. I am sure your husband wouldn't want you to feel guilty for doing anything that you enjoy or that makes you feel better. I suspect the guilt you talk about stems from the days when you were caring for him and sometimes felt you would like to take a break and watch something for an hour or so. I don't think you should feel guilty about that either though. Caring is draining and exhausting and stressful. so it is quite normal to want a rest and a break once in a while. I am sure he would not blame you for that. Don't feel guilty for doing anything that helps you to feel better. You are the priority now.

I think you did the right thing to tell his family he had died, despite his wishes. Mu mum was estranged from her brother and was not told when he died and that always worried and upset her. She was told by one of my cousins that he had had a stroke at one point, so she worried about him and would like to have seen him, but she and my aunt had fallen out years before and my aunt would not allow them to have any contact with one another. I always felt that was very cruel and it worried my mum right up to the end that they had never had a a chance to make it up and see one another again and she always wanted to know what happened to him, but was never told. So I think you did do the right thing. People, however they feel about one another, need to know, I think. My dad's family all lived abroad, so he rarely heard what was happening to them either and i am sure he would have liked to know more about their lives too, so  I would say you did the right thing.

As far as the cars go, I had two cars for a while after my mum died. I bought one that was easier for mum to get into and out of a couple of years before she died, but still kept the old one as it was very comfortable for me to drive. After she died, I eventually sold it on Ebay,as could no longer afford to keep two cars and no longer needed two either. I tried getting a price from a couple of those firms that advertise that they buy any car, but was only offered  a fraction of what I eventually got for it. I ended up selling it for about £500 more than they had offered, so I would recommend selling the cars privately. Perhaps this is something your friend could help you with, but I wouldn't worry about that too much yet. It can wait.

It sounds like it is very early days for you still, so give yourself time to recover from the shock of your loss. It will take time to adjust to your new situation and likely many tears along the way, as well as a tangle of confusing feelings. It is normal to feel like it isn't real for a while. Sadly, acceptance of reality does gradually sink in, as it must, but that can take months, so don't expect anything to change very soon. That's OK too. Loss is a huge shock to the system, both physically and emotionally and all the practical problems (like what to do with your cars) don't help, so as Emz advises, do just be gentle with yourself for now and just try to make sure you eat and drink enough. We often forget to do that at times like this and that doesn't help either. Other than that, do whatever else helps. I found having flowers in the house and walking in the park felt very calming and helpful. As long as you can pay the bills and take care of your daily needs, everything else can wait, so just concentrate on taking care of you for now. I am sure that will be quite enough to cope with.

Keep talking to us on here. You will find loads of support here and on the Facebook Group, as we are all in the same boat, albeit at different points along the way in this painful and difficult journey, so everyone will understand how you are feeling and have good advice to offer. I find this site a huge help and comfort. If nothing else, it helps you know you are not alone.

Sending strength and hugs xx

Offline caroleb

• New Members
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies. It means a tremendous amount to know that I am not alone. I think I am being a bit too hard on myself at the moment. I know that I did everything I could to help Kenny and I loved him very much. We are human after all and can never get everything right especially when we are caring for someone who is frightened and doesn’t know how to cope with things themselves at times. I just wish that Kenny hadn’t had to go through what he did that’s all. I also think that my own feelings and hopes and fears and everything have been on the back burner for so long that it is difficult now to think just about me if that makes sense. I will try my best though. Thank you xxxx

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
That makes perfect sense, Carole. It is perfectly natural for a while to still be focused on the days when your husband was so ill, but gradually those memories will fade and the good memories become a little clearer. Just take each day at a time. You deserve some kindness and patience now. It takes a long time to get used to such different circumstances and to being without a loved one, so try to stay strong. At least Kenny isn't suffering anymore. I know that thought gave me some comfort after my mum passed away. I am sure you did your absolute best for him, but we all think there was something we could have done better. Just take comfort from knowing you did do your best and that your loved one is at peace now. This experience is harsh enough without making it even harder for yourself. Wishing you peace and comfort. Best wishes, Sandra

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
Hi Carole B i came here after losing my husband keith too a stroke - the second - so i was carer in between them and years before  we were together i lost mark aged 30 to cancer. The first time i had my two girls to focus on - but also as i had promised him is would go back and finish a course i had been doing when he was diagnosed i went back and put all my energy into doing more than that eventualy getting a degree - all of it was because if i was busy i wouldnt have time to greive i could literlly drive to college with tears streaming down my face then become emersed in whatever work was required for six hours before repeating the teary journey back home - the car, his car was the only place i cried. Years later and the second time around i know that it was a natural way to respond but not necessarilly the healthiest given i carried on doing it for so long. In the same way i think this is why you are agitated about the cars - because in order to not think about what has happened you have found that to fous on - so no it isnt ridiculous.
You dont necessarilly need to do it right now, if theyre not parked on a public road but on a drive, go to the DVLA website and follow the links to SORN them, then they can sit there legally until you are ready to sort them out and make more lasting decisions - maybe at some point you might even decide to learn to drive and want to  keep one. If they are on the public road though then they do need insurance and they will start to cost you money.

As they are not yours then there may be some legal issues over selling them right now as well, to do with probate - i will message you a link too a useful flow chart which explains that.(look under my messages on the top menu)

I also think you did the right thing informing his familly - whatever the reasons for the estrangement, i think he would recognise why you did it, you were acting in the way your conscience guided you too, After 21 years your ethics code was a part of why he loved you and he wouldnt really have wanted you to change from being that person by going against it.

It is such early days as others have said and no amount of knowledge about what is going to happen actually prepares us for the onslaught of emotions that hit us - its a roller coaster of a journey but as the others have said be kind too yourself and dont expect too much of yourself - I found being here, that when i thought i was on the edge of sanity this was the one place i could come and find others who had experienced the same feelings at different times as well as somewhere i could express my feelings - just writing them down helped -as well as the replies -so second time round i didnt need that major distraction to deflect grief ( i had minor ones) but being here meant that by expressing things i was able to make sense of them and deal with them much better.