Author Topic: Brother not coping with loss of father  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Sw1ft85

Brother not coping with loss of father
« on: April 10, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »
My brother (step brother really but I've never differentiated) since his father died suddenly at the beginning of last year has withdrawn himself completely from life.

He's 15 and I've tried everything I can think of to try and help him. The thing is he doesn't seem to want to be helped. He runs away when my mother invites his friends to come visit. He won't talk to me and has told my mother he's not interested in talking to or seeing anybody.

He flat out refuses to see a councillor.

Despite recent illness refuses to see a doctor.

Hasn't attended school in 10 months.

Bar one or two occasions I don't think he's actually left the house in that time either.

He spends all his time in his room and even eats his meals there.

He sleeps all day and is awake all night. The issue now is he's obviously of an age where my mother struggles to control him. He can get aggressive and she has no option but to back off. School and social workers aren't able to provide much help.

Has anybody had a similar experience with a loved one that can provide some advice or guidance on how they coped?

I don't live close but get out to see them as often as I can and up until this year we have always had a good relationship I don't want him to withdraw any further.

At the end of this month I'm heading back home for a few days to make sure he attends his court hearing for the school he's missed. My mother has had to pay numerous fines and I feel it's important for him to attend these hearings which he's adamant he isn't.

I'm also talking with my uncle to see if he can come out with me and see if we can get him to open up to us even just a little.

I know there isn't going to be a magical quick fix but I'm completely out of ideas so any information or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Brother not coping with loss of father
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
Sending you a welcome hug xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »
If you've always had a good relationship, would he agree to getting away for a weekend with you?  Maybe a weekend away, in neutral ground, with something else to focus on (beach, country,whatever works as a break for you both), might help to take some pressure off and may lead to him opening up?

Just wondering if that might help, as direct questioning him may make him shut people out? Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Sw1ft85

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
Thanks Emz I'm willing to try anything so I will certainly give this a go. The only issue I can see is getting him to agree to leaving the house. This does seem to be sound advice.

Previously this wouldn't have been an issue but now I'm not so sure... I suppose failing that on a weekend where my Mum is working and my Sister is out try and get him out in the living room just to sit and watch a film to start with in his territory. Just try and coax him out a bit.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 10:43:19 PM by Sw1ft85 »

Offline Julia

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
Sounds like you've all done everything you could, sometimes the best thing is to stop suggesting remedies. Don't we all get tired of advises and suggestions sometimes, no matter how good they are, sometimes we still feel like nobody understands, especially a teen mind. Sometimes a push to imporove can have a negative response. That I can tell from my own exerience as a teenager. I used to close myself in a room even when I had my family all in one house. I used to hate anyone inviting me to join them in the living room and watch a movie together. I was stubborn for no reason, and grief can only make it more intense, but it may not be as uncomfortable for him as you may think.

I would also suggest thinking of what characteristics of his father he is missing the most. Maybe there are other men that can help slowly present father like role in his surroundings. Like for example my friend's father looked after himself really well, he was extremely fit, always well groomed. Now my friend finds comfort in exercising, she enjoyed personal training a lot, which I think is inspired by her father in a way.

Perhaps you can let him go on vacation by himself, not sure what options there would be in this regard... Surfing camp for teens, perhaps hiking trip... Whatever he would find appealing and perhaps he does need to do it alone, as he clearly doesn't connect with anyone at the moment. He will need to take his first steps himself. 

Wishing you all a lot of patience, and strength  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:12:32 PM by Julia »