Author Topic: Never experienced this before...  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Zita

Never experienced this before...
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:20:18 AM »
Good morning all...I lost my mum suddenly in January, we didn't have a normal mum/daughter relationship and I hadn't seen her for almost 5 years although we spoke regularly on the phone. In the first month following her passing I carried on with life as normal, didn't think it affected me that much but soon it all came crashing down on me. I started not sleeping, I developed anxiety and even had a few panic attacks. Been to GP who has put me on anti depressants plus meds to help with the anxiety and sleep but none really worked, meds have changed and although the anxiety has got slightly better I am still only sleeping 3-4 hours at night, often waking up drenched in sweat. I have lost almost 2 stone in weight as my appetite has vanished. I'm starting bereavement counselling tomorrow and feel really anxious about it. I feel like I'm stuck in a hole and can't find a way out, my children and my husband need me and I feel like I'm detached from everything. Has anyone gone or going though anything like this? Does it get better?   :sad:

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
Re: Never experienced this before...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:54:44 PM »
Hello Zita.

I read this heartfelt post a couple of times now, and can totally understand the dilemma you're living with day and night by the sound of it.

Trust me what you are going through is very normal, so don't worry that you are experiencing something that won't pass, because I know with all my years here seeing this time and time again, it will get better I promise. This anxiety lark is self perpetuating because you just know it's going to happen and because you wind yourself up worrying about that, it inevitable does happen.

You probably have a thousand things going on in your mind right now Zita, hence why you can't sleep, so throw them all away and only bring back and deal what's happening now and not what MIGHT happen tomorrow. Turn your attention back to your husband and children because they will be missing the old you, and you'll find with their love and affection back in your life, this will guide your thoughts to nicer places and will help with the anxiety big time.

Keep posting how it is,, we are all here for you on your journey I promise. :-)
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Zita

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
Thank you so much for your kind words...means a great deal when I am feeling so lost...thank you.

Offline Zita

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:43:09 AM »
Going to my first session of counselling this morning...really anxious 😩

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »
I do hope it went well for you Zita and don't be to disheartened if it wasn't what you hoped for, because they do turn out that way sometimes but get better from what a lot of members tell me. :-)
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Zita

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
Thanks Dave for taking the time to post a reply. So the first session was really me talking about my past and why me and my mum didn't have a good/normal relationship...well let's just say I have been a complete emotional wreck all day. I'm going through so many emotions right now...but I have to embrace them. Another session next week, so let's see how it goes.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 12:34:28 AM »
I found counselling to be like that. Bringing out my thoughts in order to deal with at times was quite overwhelming but i stayed with it and found it did help me to deal with many thoughts that were causing problems.

Wishing you strength.  :hug:

Offline Zita

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »
Thanks Hubby...grief really is a rollercoaster of emotions. I'm going to stick with it as I really need help.  :hug: