Author Topic: Loss of a Parent  (Read 1869 times)

Offline splacanica

Loss of a Parent
« on: July 21, 2017, 02:09:24 AM »
Hi everyone, I am very new to this site. I have been trying to find different avenues for managing the grief over my father, but nothing has been effective. He passed away almost 3 months ago and I have felt a ton of different and complex emotions; emotions you all understand. Does anything have any advice they could share about handling the constant memories that resurface?

Thank you all.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Loss of a Parent
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
Sending a welcome hug :hug:

It is certainly a rollercoaster journey and one that often takes people by surprise as it takes longer than you may have been led to believe before losing a loved one (many people think all is ok again after the funeral and don't realise the emotional rollercoaster

When you say constant memories,  are you finding it's distressing ones that keep resurfacing? Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
Also sending you a welcome.there's nothing I can add really to what Emz has said.Give yourself time,and if it is bad memory's collect good ones in your head and when a bad one surfaces try to consciously put a good one in front of it.

Offline splacanica

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:16:44 PM »
Thank you both for the support and replying. And yes the memories are distressing ones that I guess I pushed back when I first experienced them. Now that everything has been said and done, they tend to arise and linger.

I will try to use that advice and think of happy memories whenever the bad ones resurface, that is helpful advice!

Thank you both.