Author Topic: Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep  (Read 21645 times)

Offline Kes1968

Re: Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 01:16:32 PM »
Well we went to the vet this morning and I was pleased because the vet said that given his age he’s doing ok, he mentioned that he could have cushings disease but they would need to do a blood test to confirm that and he wasn’t convinced that the injection that the previous vet gave him was much use,( for the arthritis) but they’re going to contact the previous vet to see what they gave him,( I only know it was an anti inflammatory drug),  he’s had his necessary jabs  today as they were out of date. We have to go back in four weeks for the rest. Regarding his legs he said they would need to do MRI and it might mean spinal decompression but the results aren’t always good and it can make things worse, but on the face of it, I was happy that the vet said he’s ok, all things considered. Phew !!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 01:18:30 PM by Kes1968 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
That sounds positive  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:43:03 PM »
He certainly seems more proactive than the vet we saw in Newquay before we moved!!

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
A good vet is so valuable. I'm very lucky with my current vet.  I know of others whose vets have been so bad it's given their dogs a phobia of going to the vets!!  Obviously a case of some people in the occupation for the wrong reasons! xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 10:49:58 AM »
I’d heard good reviews about the vets at pets at home before so I was happy to try them out, I’ll definitely stay with them now after such a positive first visit, one lady who was waiting was moaning about the prices but I thought they’d werent  too bad at all really, £51 for consultation and first course of vaccinations, I’ve paid more in the past!! I suppose it depends what they’re coming in for! It’s all relative . I felt the vet was very proactive and thorough in his examination ( the previous vet didn’t hardly touch harry let alone examine him !! Harry bit him on a previous visit and after that the vet was reluctant to go too near him, a vet ffs it’s surely hazards of the job!! 😂😂
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:55:15 AM by Kes1968 »

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 09:41:56 AM »
Came home yesterday from work to find soiling all around the hall and lounge, harry had to be bathed and I’ve ordered a carpet washer and steam cleaner for the laminate floors. Woke this morning to find he’d soiled himself in his sleep 😢😢 not the first time, what should I do? Is it fair to keep him going like this? He’s pretty good at weeing on the pads I leave for him when I go to work but it was such a mess yesterday, am I being cruel keeping him when he’s like this, people say I’ll know when it’s time but will I ? He’s my only companion at home, I don’t know if I can bear to be without him
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:44:32 AM by Kes1968 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
It's such a hard call  :sad:  I really feel for you  :cry:
I found it hard to make the call with my last dog, she started to collapse and soil herself.  How is he in himself?  Is it distressing him? Can you have a chat with the vet? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
We’re due to see the vet on Thursday so I’ll discuss the euthanasia then  . I was talking to my neighbor about it and she said that if the quality of life is affected as I believe it is then I should approach it with the vets

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 06:17:53 PM »
He’s not eaten at all today but has drunk some water, seems restless , I think I’ve made my decision

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
S
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:23:36 PM by GHOST »

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »
 :rainbow: :rainbow: thanks for the kind messages everyone, it’s heartbreaking but o know what I have to do, really going to miss my little pal 😢😢😢

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »
He’s eaten his dinner tonight but only the one small meal today, he’s been quite restless and whimpering on and off , panting too, pain? Distressed? I don’t know, but I’m convinced I’ve made the right decision this time, I’ll talk to the vet this week , I think I’ll probably go ahead with it fairly soon , probably after I’ve spoken with vet on Thursday,
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 08:55:02 PM by Kes1968 »

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
We’ve got an appointment with the vet tomorrow at 330. I was crying on the phone to the receptionist, when I was telling her about Harry, I feel so awful but I love him so much and I can’t bear to think he might be suffering and I know it’s the kindest thing I can do for him if it’s necessary, just so bloody hard . The receptionist said that it might be the best thing if he’s constantly incontinent, which he is more or less and I told her about the mess I came home to in Friday and that I didn’t think it was fair on Harry to stay that way , also soiling himself in his sleep 😢😢 he’s been doing this for a while and I think I’ve just been putting off the inevitable
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:47:58 AM by Kes1968 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2018, 01:51:38 PM »
It does sound like its time, and you're doing the kindest thing for him. Its still an act of love, they look to us to help them  :hug:  spend time with him, and think maybe you can do something nice in the garden in memory for him?
So hard, be gentle with yourself  :hearts: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »
It does sound like its time, and you're doing the kindest thing for him. Its still an act of love, they look to us to help them  :hug:  spend time with him, and think maybe you can do something nice in the garden in memory for him?
So hard, be gentle with yourself  :hearts: xx
can you send me the link for the lady who makes the animals that  can put his ashes in ? Xxx 😢😢😢

It’s ok emz I’ve found your message with the details, I’ll message the lady tomorrow
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:06:55 PM by Kes1968 »