Author Topic: Max rehomed  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Kes1968

Max rehomed
« on: December 17, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »
Hi everyone, unfortunately I’ve had to have Max rehomed, I wasn’t coping at all, he wasn’t responding to training at all well, hiding behind sofa and screaming every time I picked him up, he’s been adopted by a lovely couple who are friends with the lady who came to collect him from me.she works for a rescue charity who deal with dogs like Max, her opinion was that he’s a very scared little puppy who has probably had a very bad experience with the breeder. It was a very tough decision to make but I decided it was the best thing for both of us. The couple who initially fostered him have fallen in love with him and have permanently adopted him, they have a 7 year old German Shepherd bitch who has taken max under her wing and he’s apparently settled really well with them. So a happy ending for Max, he’s got a lovely new family who adore him and can give him the training and leadership that he needs. And a lovely gsd mummy to teach him everything he needs to develop into a well adjusted adult dog. I’ll always think about him but I severely underestimated how much training he would need. I’ve also realised that after the year I’ve had that I was wrong to take on such a massive commitment so soon. He’s a lovely dog and I did love him but it wasn’t enough. He’ll do well with his new home and family. I’m also starting bereavement counselling this afternoon and I’ll be having Oscar again from tomorrow.  Hugs to everyone, hope you don’t judge me too harshly.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:21:25 PM by Kes1968 »

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
Re: Max rehomed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:05:27 PM by GHOST »

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: thanks for your kind words, yes I think I’ve done the best thing for both of us, and I hear what you’re saying about seeing families/ couples etc doing their Christmas shopping etc, I feel the same, mum wasn’t very interested in Christmas the past few years so we never really got into it, I miss her terribly and Harry too. Hugs xxxx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »
Absolutely no harsh judgement to be made - it isnt as though you abandoned max by the roadside you put him first and thats the best outcome for any dog -especially as he now has a substitute fur mummy.
I was offered  puppys twice this year and had to turn them down mainly because of work but i absolutely recognise why you would want to get one - as you say yourself it turned out perhaps to be just too soon but you wernt to know that and are not in any way to be judged.
Its different with Rory because he was already there -but even with Ben who was knocking on when Keith died i had a huge job because Keith was the one who was at home all day - so in Bens world, the boss. -firstly getting him to refrain from sitting by the front door crying which he did for months until i actually moved house, but at the time added to my own heartbreak, then to get him to accept me as the new boss (i dont think he ever actually did that but occasonally pretended too when it suited him) At the same time he was the reason i got out of bed, and my companion on a lot of late night ramblings when neither of us could settle = perhaps thats another reason i havnt jumped into getting another dog at all - because i cant bear to be brocken yet again, and maybe at some level what lay behind your anxiety over Max Too much too soon perhaps, but nothing to blame yourself for.   :hug: :hug: :hug: 

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »
Thanks everyone xx I had Oscar for the day today and it was really good, we went for a woodland walk with my friend and her dog and had a great time, Oscar and Kara ( my friend’s dog ), had a lovely long walk and a swim in the river, Oscar has just gone home with his owner and I’m having him for the day again on Thursday, when we go for our beach walk. A good day today. 😀🐕🐾

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 04:56:39 PM »
 :hug: It seems to me that for the time being Oscar is the solution you need. 

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 07:15:30 PM »
:hug: It seems to me that for the time being Oscar is the solution you need.

hi karena, yes i think youre right, he's a lovely boy, easy to look after and i have the option of what days i have him. obviously im responsible for him for the time i have him but yes he's enough for me right now. I've got him tomorrow for the day and we'll be going to perranporth for our usual thursday beach walk, which we both thoroughly enjoy!

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »
Perranporth -how lovely. Havnt been there since i was 19 - camping (illegally) in the sand dunes. :whistle:

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »
Perranporth -how lovely. Havnt been there since i was 19 - camping (illegally) in the sand dunes. :whistle:

omg we nearly got cut off by the tide yesterday! :O but we did 7 miles all in all and I was shattered last night! I'd forgotten how strong he is physically, he nearly pulled me over a couple of times yesterday but I wasn't at my best, was feeling a tad below par, normally I can handle him quite well. We had a lovely walk though and I got him a doggy stocking from pets at home which he took home with him yesterday when Gary picked him up. I saw two german shepherd dogs which were identical in colour to max although older which made me feel a bit sad, I still miss him in a way but I know I did the right thing in rehoming him. I miss my mum massively at the moment but I feel my mum's absence stronger because I suppose it is still so recent, although i'll always miss her of course. I haven't heard a jot from my two brothers selfish t*ssers that they are, oh well! sorry to end on a bitter note. I'm going to my friend's house for Christmas and I will make an effort to be jolly!!