Author Topic: Cooking for one? Sad  (Read 13084 times)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Cooking for one? Sad
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
Peanut butter in rice pudding ?  :rofl: I used to hate it as a kid but actually quite like it now.my son in law  in za puts it on toast with jam .surprisingly pleasant but I would never admit that too him.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
Jam with anything  :yahoo:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »
My son made some peanut butter fudge last week and it tasted ok, although I don't like peanut butter.

I had to try it obviously didn't want to upset him lol

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »
Peanut butter and jam fudge mmmmm or maybe not.

Yesterday I was watching kids TV (there was a kid here ) they made cakes for feeding ducks.So he wanted to do some.I didn't have that many of the ingredients but we muddled through and subsidised,then little genius has the idea of shoving some bird food in there.It smelt so good I had to remind myself that  it included dried mealworm. :rofl:
As it turned out the ducks didn't appreciate the effort of cooking for them or getting soaked through to take them,they just blanked us.So back they came,and the garden birds birds have shown themselves to be much more grateful.

Back to human food I just pulled the last of the leeks so leek and potatoes soup and cheese scones is my tea tonight,then the rest of the soup should see me to Wednesday I think.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »
"dried mealworm" - I get through loads and it costs me a fortune :rolleyes:. When I say "I get through" perhaps I should say the Robins in my garden  :grin:. I swear they sit waiting for me to get up in the mornings and one of them swoops on the feeder as soon as the mealworms are in there - almost knocks me out of the way  :laugh:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »
That sounds like my sparrows - getting to the stage they all flutter about me when i go out to put their food each morning :-)  really brightens the start to my day xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
Maybe we should have shares in mealworm production.I do love the garden birds though,great way to start the day,I have a wren nesting somewhere been watching it go back and forwards to the feeder then disappear behind a bush,won't go crashing round though as it might be too disruptive.At the old house I came back from camping and put my disgusting smelly old walking boots on the wall to dry out.By the time I remembered them there was a wrens nest in one.so they stayed there.
Made the soup yesterday then put it on to reheat and forgot it,so burnt pan and burnt potatoe flavour soup on the menu tonight. :whistle:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
put it on to reheat and forgot it,so burnt pan
Thank goodness it's not only me - it's usually the coffee percolator (one of the stove top type) but last year my pressure cooker ended up in the dustbin. My daughters keep telling me off and warning me I'm going to set the house on fire - I've been 'instructed' that if I put anything on the stove I've got to stay with it until it's done  :whistle:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
Well that's what I should do too especially as in summer (allegedly summer now) the stove is out so I have a plug in  induction hob which heats very rapidly,something I sometimes forget.In this case I got distracted by whatsapp. :whistle:

Offline Rachaellee

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2017, 03:00:24 AM »
I'm sitting here eating crackers, so I understand. For the first time though, I did make fresh soup twice over the last several days instead of takeaway.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »
Making soup sounds good, all steps in the right direction.  What flavours did you make? Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Usually whatever's available with a potato,sweet potaoe or squash base to save bothering with a thickener,last one I made was sweet potatoes,onion,tomatoes,and the meagre few French beans that the garden has seen fit to produce so far,bit of sage,bit of rosemary and a spoon of bouillon veg stock powder.

Offline Rachaellee

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
I made chicken noodle soup, it wasn't too bad. I then did ham and cabbage soup, which was something my mother used to make when I was young. It just seems like too much effort to force myself into thr kitchen and cutting stuff up.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 09:21:18 PM »
I make a lot of "what's left over in the fridge' soup  :smiley: , It usually contains carrots, onions, peppers, courgettes, some chicken and always plenty of garlic. ALways makes me smile when someone in the family calls and has a bowlful and then says something like "ooh that's nice, where did you get the recipe?"