Author Topic: When to go back to work?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Perle Orestes

• New Members
When to go back to work?
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
I realise that the answer to this is different for everyone but I'm concerned that people will think that I'm taking too much time off. I've been off for 3 weeks, One week compassionate leave and two weeks sick. Both my boss and my GP have said it's fine if I need more time and I think I do need a bit more time. I'm not crying all the time (even though I feel like I want to) but I feel so tired and I'm finding it hard to talk to people. The thought of going back to work scares me but I know I've got to do it. I've got quite a responsible job where I can't afford to make mistakes so I don't want to go back too soon but I don't want to stay away too long either.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: When to go back to work?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »
It is a very difficult question.I went back too soon after 2 weeks which lead to mistakes,fortunately the consequences were not major as my job wasn't major,so that is certainly a consideration.
I have seen it happen quite often on here that people have had to back on sick again when they go back too soon,and others who have been afraid to return but then found the work routine helpful.Again though if yours is anything but routine perhaps that wouldnt work for you.

One thing you might consider is a phased return so you go in for short times,fewer days, or taking back just a few duties, gradually building up to full work over a couple of weeks.Your boss sounds very reasonable so might consider that.To be honest other people who havnt been in your shoes should not be a priority because they cannot comprehend what you are going through so don't let them influence it.If you feel not ready,then you are not ready.

Offline Maria66

Re: When to go back to work?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:58:10 AM »
When my beloved father died, i couldnt work for two weeks, then my boss gave me a staggered return, which i found really helpful as i didnt feel pushed. It worked well for me as i slowly for two weeks got back to dealing with my life. I think its a brilliant idea Karena to do that.  Its so much easier then jumping off the cliff into space and not knowing how you will cope.

So yes Perle if it helps i would suggest too you go back in stages.   I must admit i found after a few days being with people helped me so much.

I am retired now so dont have that issue.  Just take your time hun, you will know when its right for you. xxx