Author Topic: Hello! I lost my husband  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Rhonda Andi

Hello! I lost my husband
« on: February 19, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »
Hello everyone, My name is Rhonda Andi and i lost my husband 2 years April to Bowel Cancer, he was 47, i was widowed at 43, our son was 12 at the time, although its nearly 2 years I seem to be going backwards, thought i was doing ok(ish) but recently have gone into a very dark place, i have booked an appointment for the GP tomorrow (it cant come soon enough!) help and advice very much appreciated xxxxxx

Offline sue smith

• VIP Member
Re: Hello! I lost my husband
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
Hello and welcome.  2 years is actually not very long and several of us have found the second year to be harder than the first.  We go through all the "firsts" and think we are in the clear but then it becomes obvious that we are not.  I lost my husband over 6 years ago and I can tell you it will get easier but it takes time.  Do not be worried if your GP prescribes something,  taking something mild to help is not a sign of failure.  I had to give in and start taking sertralin after more than 3 years and it has helped.  I hope your appointment tomorrow helps you but time will be the biggest help xx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:
I agree, the second year brought its own challenges.  I think maybe sometimes we unknowingly put extra pressure on ourselves, thinking now we've survived the 'firsts' we should cope much better.  But in reality it is a gradual journey, slowly moving forward
Be gentle with yourself, you are still healing.  Remind yourself how far you have come, all the things you've achieved.  And give yourself permission to have some TLC and take little steps forward xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

I lost my wife in March last year so cannot really comment on longer term grief but I do wish you the strength to get through the difficult days.

:hug: