Author Topic: hi  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Lyxis83

hi
« on: February 28, 2017, 01:17:03 AM »
I don't really know what to say to introduce myself

My Grandma has been in hospital for a while with ever decreasing health and she has dementia but we've now been told that she has less than 48 hours. she's 95 (96 in May) but she raised me so it's like I'm losing my mum.

I know she's not gone yet but this is worse in a way. Mentally she is already gone and its killing me inside.

I have the choice to see her one last time but she doesn't remember me and I've been told she looks very different so it wouldn't benefit her seeing me again but I think it would help my granddad knowing I went (he's 93)

I don't know what to do and I don't have long to decide.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:38:18 PM »
I hope this isn't too late but I would advise you to go,I have been here long enough to know that occasionally people with dementia do regain some cognition at the end of life and even if she doesn't recognise you she may recognise that the person holding her hand is someone who loves her,plus as you say for your grandad so he will know someone was with her for a while.But it is up to you,no one here would cticise you if you decide not to go its a very difficult decision,I don't know anything about other family but having someone go with you to support you would help if there is someone who would do that.

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
Re: hi
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:24 PM »
If it was me I would go, give you chance to give her your love and your mental goodbye even if you don't say the words. 
Sending you massive hugs. x