Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1415 times)

Offline JaneEyre

Hi
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »
Hi.  Firstly apologies for the daft username, couldn't think of anything else.
Four months ago yesterday my brother and my sister in law were killed in a car crash.  Drunk driver ploughed into the back of their car and it exploded.  The drunk driver is fine, physically at any rate.  My brother had two grown-up children from his first marriage, two at junior school from the second. 
Twenty days later my Dad died. We knew he wouldn't be with us by Christmas but feel his death was definitely hastened by the loss of my brother.
The last 5-6 months  (Dad died from cancer) have been awful.  Mum spent most of her time with Dad and my brother's family (i live 90 minutes away) and has of course needed a lot of support, tho she is doing relatively ok at the moment, all things considered.
I have been really struggling this week,, very down and tearful.
Husband works away - his new job started the Monday before the accident.  Kids are grown up but also having issues.  We are all trying to support each other but not always managing.
Sorry for the essay, but so much has happened that just a quick introduction takes a while. :-/  as you can tell from the intro, there are a lot of different things i am having to deal/cope with, so any words of wisdom, support or just empathy would be very welcome.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:46:15 AM »
Sending you a welcome hug  :hug:
I can only imagine how you're feeling, I lost my dad suddenly to cancer, having such a traumatic accident too losing others must be devastating

Grief is a rollercoaster journey. My best advice is to keep talking and take each day at a time. I hope you find the forum a source of support xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
 :hug: no wonder you are struggling - as Emz says get through each day one day at a time - keep talking here it does help just writing things down - and dont worry about long posts we all do it and it isnt a problem - one of the things i did to get through the worst times was take myself off somewhere - in my case a long hot bath - and try and think of five good things that happened during the previous week - you will struggle at first and maybe not get five - but if you make it a habit then you find yourself looking for them through the week - they dont need to be big things -and they dont need to be about familly, a bird singing, overhearing something a child said,a dog coming to you for a pat,a snowdrop popping up a smile from a random stranger - it doesnt sound much but it does help to get you head out of the black cloud even just for a few minutes. 

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:00 AM »
Great idea, Karena.

Janeeyre, I'm so sorry to hear of what you are all going through. Makes one's own problems pale into insignificance. I would advise talking to your other family members as often as you can, especially as you are some distance away. It helps to be able to look forward to talking to someone and off-load, whether you've had a good or a bad day. At least it will feel like you have some mutual support and continuing connection. Being left on your own to deal with everything, even if it's just your feelings is very hard and isolating.

I am sure you value one another more since all this has happened, but don't forget either that you can still talk to those you have lost as well. It isn't silly, whether you believe in an afterllife or not. It can still help to talk to them and you will probably find you will be able to imagine what their responses would be.

Look out for feathers too. They may well leave you a sign that they are close and thinking of you. I didn't believe in feathers at first, but do now and it helps to know you are not alone. We are all here to talk to too, if it helps.

On a practical note, make sure you eat and drink properly. it's easy to forget to after suffering such traumas. Make sure your mum does too.

It may help to give yourself some kind of distraction each week too. I joined a class and took up a new interest and made some great new friends through that and they have really helped support me, so you may find that helps. If nothing else, it will take your mind off your troubles for a few hours a week.

Try to take it a day at a time. That's quite enough for now. Sending hugs...