Author Topic: Green Fingers  (Read 4764 times)

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
Green Fingers
« on: February 15, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:51:23 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Green Fingers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 
:hug:  oh dear Brian -
but while we are confessing back in the distant past i was working in a carpet shop and the company were refurbishing everything so it was closed for a couple of days -we walked back into this haven of colour co-ordinated carpet samples and i immediately spotted the ferns decorating the top of the new racks -said (out loud) those poor plants have been in a container for goodness knows how long -then went off filled a container of water. The giveaway was the way the water ran off the plastic soil. :whistle:

The poinsetta erm -perhaps a present for the father in law. ?

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »
 :
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:51:42 PM by GHOST »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
 :rofl:  :rofl: that's brilliant :-)  thanks for sharing, that's brightened my day - and is also something I'm likely to do! 

I brought all my dads plants home with me, and following the instruction in one pot was watering one particular plant loads - but after a few months I realised the care label was for a completely different plant and this one had the opposite care required!! Thankfully no damage done then!   But lately branches have been wilting and then falling off and cant work out why as nothing has changed

Im having an issue with my chilli pepper at the moment - it has been flourishing for ages, grown from a seed, all of a sudden in the last few months leaves have started drooping. I did research and apparently that means too little or too much water.  Im not getting on very well - have tried changing water volume, both up and down, yet more leaves are starting to droop :-(  I think every leaf is drooping now.  Going back to no water again and seeing if that works xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
T
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:52:02 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 12:50:42 PM »
I was thinking light or heat with the chillis Emz -i have tried a few time to grow them without success but i put that down too being in the frozen north then gave up.But also have you got more than one -do they self pollinate or do they require a firey companion to actually produce a chilli -also where did the seed come from -if its a supermarket chilli chances are its from a hybrid so wont fruit anyway.I found this out with squashes they romp away like triffids but dont fruit.

I,m not very good with house plants myself -it is a pretty dark house even in summer -but i think i am about to treat myself (and them) too a grow lamp.not just for the existing plants but i might have a go at growing microgreens too.PLus i am going to need a load of herbs for me,for community garden and for work -so growing them from seed will be much more affordable.(can you see me piling up justifiable excuses to buy a light here   :whistle:)

Brian -sweet peas -i think you were lucky you didnt get strimmed yourself for that one. (lol)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:39:42 PM »
I'm wondering if possibly temperature. It's done ever so well - it's already survived one winter and I've already had about 4 chillis from it. (So far, every time I've grown from a seed from a supermarket chilli they've always produced chillis - so definitely recommend giving it a try :-) )  maybe they're not robust enough to last long term... xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 10:53:27 PM »
I
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:52:21 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
That must have been a shock Brian. I think I might give the tinfoil walls and extractor ducts a miss .Although I did have some silver screening for the windows when I first moved back here as before I got the stove it was so cold.It might be amusing to put them back up and leave the lamp packaging in the porch where it can be seen then sit back and see how long  it takes for a visit from the constabulary.Well done  getting any Chillies Emz maybe it is just not warm enough here and conservatory temperatures fluctuate too much.
Not feeling very hp with green fingers today I think the frost might have killed my evergreen Jasmine off.I will have to wait and see if it recovers.
Rhodedendrons will be  lovely up there in sotland.Cant grow them in my soil but I got sent a couple of freebies with a big plant order so I put them in pots in the right compost been ok so far but they will never grow to full size in a pot.

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:50 PM »
w
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:52:42 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 07:48:34 PM »
Crikey mention a grow lamp and reputations go straight down the pan  :rofl:
It's actually because there is so little daylight in my house and I would like to have more house plants but also get seedlings off too a good start rather than waiting for the weather .Growing for 3 gardens this year will be cheaper if I grow from seed rather than plugs.I will get some petty cash for work but community garden budget seems to be non existent.I bought a patio rose today.poor neglected thing but cheap Obviously a Valentine's day has been like me .Didn't have the heart to put it outside in the cold just yet so it's on top of the fish tank I can talk too them both at the same time now. :rofl:

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 08:30:24 PM »
Y
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:53:02 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
Best way to reduce grasss cutting is to reduce grass
lawn is pretty useless for wildlife anyway so unless you want to take up tennis how much lawn do you need.
You could for example put raised beds down -so you dont even need to dig it up -just line with a few layers of carboard then soil on the top and grow food -most of it requires little attention once its away until harvesting time.
Or if its accessable you could get a farmer with a mini digger to dig out a pond
Or if you want to keep the grass just take some patches of turf up add some infertile soil and sew some wildflowers and grasses, let it all grow and cut just a path through -then cut the whole lot once a year to encourage the wild flowers to seed and spread.
-mine was all grass but now there is just a wide path down the slope and a circle at the bottom -measured for comfortable swing ball playing for the boys, a seating area near the pond,4 raised beds, for food growing - bulbs in the grass under the plum tree, where the grass is too shaded to grow to the point it even needs cutting, and a blackcurrent hedge.
Rasberrys do well in shade -little does well under conifers -but i have found lemon balm (which i use for tea) does ok.

If you dont fancy any food growing you could fill the lot with perrenials and just make little bark chip paths through -like a mini woodland - but picking up after Rory might make be made more difficult if you did that. :rofl: 

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
I
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:53:24 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »
Sounds like you and Ruth had the same system as me and Keith, i grew he cooked.
In some ways it is a good thing that this garden isnt as big or as good for growing as the old one was, or i would have freezers full of uncooked food -as it is i have an awful lot of rhubarb that needs using up before this years harvest -and thats despite giving most of it away last year.There is only so much rhubarb crumble a girl can eat. :rofl: