Author Topic: Bereavement Cafe  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Penguin123

• New Members
Bereavement Cafe
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »
Apologies if this subject has been brought up previously but has anyone found it helpful going to a local bereavement cafe.  I have one in my area that is run in a parish church (don't have to believe or be a member of the church to attend the cafe).  I find it useful as the cafe is  held once a month.  We sit around tables and part of each session is led by one of the bereavement cafe volunteers who start the session with perhaps a thought or an idea to do with bereavement and each table has a discussion on the subject offered.  Sometimes they use cards with questions about grieving on in the sessions which are always are good starting point for discussions.  Towards the end of the session we come together as one group and bring forward any helpful tips or anything mentioned in the chats which help the others.    Last month we talked about the journey of bereavement and grief as a river with four completely different pictures relating to calm and stormy events and we were of the opinion that sometimes our journey continues but then something comes along which upsets the normality of life and we then go through a rocky part of that journey.  Everyone is considerate at the sessions and are willing to listen confidentially but I still find it difficult to be able to offload my thoughts in that kind of environment although I always find the cafe helpful.  We are always offered a drink and slice of cake and each session is always strictly kept to an hour.  Some people who attend go for a long period of time and others may attend just one or two sessions.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Bereavement Cafe
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
I have not heard of these although I have heard of group counselling.It sounds like a good idea though.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:50:34 PM »
Does sound like a good option. I think it's good to have a range of support - its good to get out and about with others, and this can be combined with other options.  Sometimes we need different support/interaction depending on where we are on our journey. xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Penguin123

• New Members
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
Thanks for your replies.There have also been death cafes set up which bring people together to talk about dying and particularly talking about end of life and also planning a death/funeral.  Bereavement cafes to me seems a better name and where the emphasis is on bereavement and grief.