Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147436 times)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
Thanks Woody  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #331 on: July 03, 2017, 08:39:42 PM »
Hope you feel better soon Emz,are you sure its not hay fever.
Despite your illness Emz I have been chuckling away at the last few posts.At the old house we had a long fence and I was painting away when some passing walker stopped to tell me all about the new wonderful spray guns for fences,We had brambles and nettles and all sorts on the grass verge side and this very garrolous friendly helpful chap even stepped back to show me how far back I would be able to stand to save my legs.I really didn't have the heart to mention it was a paling fence with large gaps between,and the likelihood of hitting the fence and not having a stripy lawn beyond it were fairly slim. :rofl:
Staff meeting day today (yawn) So I,be got my list of jobs and deadlines,and the company calendar this year is to be local events throughout the year.I,m so going to struggle to find 12 local events that don't involve jam and scones,and as my act of deviance in the work place is to always have a subtle reference to Johannesburg in this "local" calendar I can only hope someone did the lion king for  their village pantomime.All other suggestions welcome.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #332 on: July 03, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
Summer colds - yuchhh... - it's a good job you can't catch them by coming in here  :smiley:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
Am pretty certain it's a cold, have been going through various symptoms - started with a sore throat and cough, which then developed into a really funny nose,  now I'm delightfully enjoying the bunged up head phase - nose blowing and head bunged up like it has cotton wool in there  :cray: I blame our office, people insist on going in ill and with all the rules of holding the hand rail spread their bugs around :-(

With your fence story you've just reminded me that it's going to be interesting when I get to painting the 6ft trellis between me and next door  :huh:

How's everyones week going so far? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #334 on: July 04, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
That is going to be interesting.If it detaches relatively easily taking it down might be easier and safer.than a stepladder.

I know like me you're nearly six foot tall but even so. :rofl:

I,m tired and fed up of the pain in my shoulder,I had two wonderful weeks without and now its back to default state.

But on the plus side of life I saw my pigeon this morning.I knew it was him as he has a distinctive white mark on his wing.He seems to have decide country is better than town and found himself a country friend, but my goodness the resident thrush makes such a fuss when they appear I think because it chose to nest near the bird feeders the food is part of the territory.I am currently spending more on bird food than my own.
But it is getting to harvest time and this morning I treated myself too fresh raspberries and black current mash in Greek yogurt for breakfast.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #335 on: July 04, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
Maybe I could try stilts?!! Unfortunately for me the trellis panels are securely attached to stop my dog escaping.  Ah well, I'm always up for a challenge  :huh:

Hope your shoulder eases soon, ongoing pain like that can really get you down.  I know from my bunged up head/ringing ears I'm very grouchy (I have a little photo printer which chose today to mess me around - I threatened to throw it against the wall at one point but dont think it understood me lol!)

Aww thats cute about your pigeon!  Im sure my birds are calling me all sorts of names as I've run out of peanuts.  Only have the suet pellets left which I throw out in the morning whilst the kettle is boiling.
Enjoy your harvest! :-)  I may have some cherry tomatoes this year, other than that will just be mint and cooking apples for me.  After dad died alot of my plants died, including my blackcurrant bush which came from ribena and my raspberries.  I must replant some more.  This year I focussed on the bees - my cornflowers have been stunning :-) and my wild flowers in pots did pretty good too xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #336 on: July 04, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
Pain in the shoulder, fence painting, spending more on bird food than my own - this is my life going on in parallel somewhere else....  :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #337 on: July 04, 2017, 09:16:49 PM »
 :rofl: :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #338 on: August 14, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »
How's everyone doing this eve?

Was just reading the earlier posts about the harvests - my tomatoes are coming along well, have two plants totally covered in little green tomatoes :-) no idea how long it will take for them to turn red though. Looking forward to picking the apples too.  Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #339 on: August 15, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »
I've started saying the same as I do every year - "I'm not growing anything next year - everything is going to waste!" I think the family are avoiding coming here at the moment because they are fed up of cucumbers and courgettes. I did stick to my guns this year though and resisted the urge to plant tomatoes (although I did find a self-set in my bean row yesterday with small fruit on it).

Doesn't it make a world of difference if the sun is shining when you wake up? If others are like me, it's the only thing that makes me want to get out of bed  :smiley:.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #340 on: August 15, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »
I said that last year as all my efforts were eaten by the slugs.  I gained the tomato plants, they were plonked onto my doorstep so thought I had better plant them. Surprised at how well they are doing!

It does make such a difference having the sun out, I have been finding the rain/greyness has been dragging my mood down xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #341 on: August 19, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
Does anyone know anything about tomatoes?  When are they likely to turn red?

Harvested some cooking apples and blackberries today and have stewed them ready for a crumble.  Unfortunately found my butter was a month out of date so have to wait until I pop and get some tomorrow before making a crumble! Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #342 on: August 19, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
Tomatoes need sunlight to ripen but this year mine have got no further than flowering,I don't think there's is any hope for mine,but there is time for yours to go red yet.Last year I was still picking them in October.Everything is late here,plums still not ripe,courgettes still flowering,squashes not formed,beans only just starting to fill,purple broccoli not flowered.the only thing romping away is spinach,which I,m probably going to be eating by the ton for the next week,before it bolts.Today has been awful,been running in and outvto tie the gazebo down,finally gave up and collapsed it right down.rained more than not rained,and I have only just resisted lighting the stove.Duvet is back on the bed,I don't imagine its going to suddenly get warm again.
Enjoy your crumble tomorrow,my favourite pudding.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
Fingers crossed for my tomatoes!  There's about 20 on each plant!

I was thankful for simple dinners this eve, had a jacket potato with cheese & beans as I was fending for myself and wanted to get on with some study. Frozen jacket potatoes rule! 5 mins in the microwave and all ready  :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #344 on: August 22, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
i agree Emz although in the early days they were awful, they seem to have got better.Plus it makes no sense to me heat an entire oven for 1 potatoe.
I,m sure there is hope for your tomatoes, the plants sustain them even after it starts to look dead.