Author Topic: I’ve lost my son  (Read 1841 times)

Offline April

I’ve lost my son
« on: January 18, 2018, 07:35:07 AM »
Our lovely (adult) son died on 17th December, we were on holiday in Mexico and had to take emergency flights home - it took nearly 24 hours and I think I cried the whole time. The funeral wasn’t until 11th January and the wait was torture, my lovely boy.   I am tortured with thoughts and memories, I just don’t know what to do, how do I cope with the feelings of despair? My husband is very supportive and hugs me when I’m overwhelmed but I see how much crying so desperately upsets him, he suffers inside but I see the pain.  Our son left a wife and 2 young children, 7 & 3, who have to grow up without their lovely Dad.  I can’t believe I will never see him again.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I’ve lost my son
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
Sending you a big welcome hug  :hug:  being away and having to travel home must have been really traumatic.
With grief the best advice I can suggest from my experience is to take things one day at a time, even hour by hour if needed.  You need to be gentle with yourself. It's a rollercoaster journey but people here understand, we're not professionals but have all been through this journey xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline April

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Thank you, I am hoping being amongst others will help.  It is indeeed a rollercoaster but one where you don’t know when the big dips are coming, I find myself suddenly overwhelmed with pain and grief.
I sometimes feel like I can’t handle it but I know I must - and will xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »
 :hug:Also sending a warm welcome  losing a child no matter how grown up they are is  a tragedy no-one can ever be prepared for. I came here after losing my husband and did find it helpful to talk with others who are grieveing no matter who they have lost.Your husband probably feels he is being strong for you and perhaps he needs that role to some degree to deal with his grief in his own way. You not leaning on him wont take the pain and upset away from him but in  time you will hopefully be able too lean on each other.
As Emz says for now it is a case of getting through a painful day at a time.