Author Topic: I'm lost  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Lost675

I'm lost
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:30:27 PM »
Hello. My husband died of a stroke in his sleep on 8 January, totally unexpected. He was only 50 and had no symptoms or warning signs.  I am devastated and just feel lost.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I'm lost
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:  xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
Sending you a warm welcome.My husband also died from a stroke although it was a second one so not as out of the blue.I am much further along this horrible grief journey than you but finding this forum was a big help.I hope it will come to be that lifeline for you too. :hug:

Offline Lost675

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Thank you for your kind replies.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:06:05 PM »
 :hug: we will be here as long as you need us , so even if you dont feel like talking right now you can always come back -sometimes when things are so painful a distraction is useful -so there is the everyday chat section -and also you can start your own diary -sometimes it is easier just to write without restraint -i used to write one in the form of letters too my husband there.

Offline Lost675

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
I really like the diary idea, I'll try that. Lots of people ask me how I am and what they really  want me to say is 'I'm fine' even though I'm not. I think writing to Paul about how I really feel would be a good release, he was always a fantastic listener.

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 11:08:36 PM »
I
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:56:27 PM by GHOST »

Offline Lost675

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:09:41 AM »
Ah, the well meaning but completely insensitive comments that friends and family keep making are making me really cross too. I keep being told 'you're doing really well' which is of course just because I'm not falling apart in front of them. It hurts like hell and sometimes I feel completely overwhelmed but I too have thrown myself into keeping busy as a distraction from the awful reality - we have to find a way to function to get through each day. I wish people could see that we're just surviving each day of grief in any way we can, not 'doing well'. I picked up my husband's ashes last week and my best friend messaged me to ask if it 'helped' how I was feeling. I just answers 'no' although I wanted to answer 'good God woman how on earth could that help'. I fear I will give a truthful answer one of these days instead of the polite ones I find myself giving to make them feel better.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »
 :hug: people just don't know what to say and end up getting it wrong when they do.In truth nothing they can say will make it better and people deal with it differently so even when they have lost someone themselves how they got through each day isn't necessarily how you do.

Offline sallymk1

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 12:59:45 PM »
Hi
I totally identify with peoples insensitive comments. We have to deal with one thing at a time and if we are seen to be even remotely coping then we must be doing well. It has been 7 weeks to the day since my partner passed and it still hurts like mad, I still struggle to look at photo's of him when he was well. My friends mostly now are in the "stay away" phase. One so called friend ended a telephone call with "right got to go now as my man is coming home from work and I must cook him a lovely tea".
I think this reply is a little gloomy and maybe a little clumsy. I was trying to empathise but not sure I have the right tone. Please take care  :coffeetoast:
Pam

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:56:52 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 07:23:01 PM »
I will certainly give some thought to having a section like that Brian.I think one of the problems is that it may different between countrys.Churches also differ some insist on hymns others are more flexible but I think maybe members who do know more hymns might be able too add too a list..I was thinking of doing a travel tips section as I know a lot of people do find the idea of travelling alone daunting.For many here things are difficult in different ways because they have lost different people so the practicalitys are different so we tend to answer questions as they arise but we could certainly look into having more sections.

Offline Gingey

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
Welcome to all and sending heartfelt condolences.
I had approx 6 weeks with my husband after told terminal, a shock, and though I was able to talk.to him he very quickly lost power of speech and understandig. Very difficult to watch decline.
I too found that about 3 or 4 weeks after funeral that friends and acquaintenances call and visit less and I have struggled with lonlieness since the day he died and findi t no easier now.
I totally understand the feelings of being lost and broken, we were together over 40 years so it us unrealistic fornpeoplw to expect that we can adapt or adjust to a solitary life we did not want.
Brian I am amazed that yiu can have no contact for up to 2 weeks, I dont know how you cope with that...I struggle badly with 1 or 2 days. I dont have a pet but have thought about one.
Hope you all find some comfort in knowing other people are reading your posts and understand the sentiments in them
 :hug:

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
S
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 05:57:52 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »