Author Topic: I feel nothing  (Read 1402 times)

Offline JamieK

I feel nothing
« on: July 26, 2018, 10:22:37 PM »
Hi,

Quick summary... I lost my mum in October 2016 kind of unexpectedly, she took a health decline that escalated pretty quickly resulting in her death 3 weeks later.
At the time of her death I was only 16 and we had a rocky relationship but I loved her a lot. After her death I took 3 days off school and was back at it like nothing ever happened, close friends and teachers knew but I didn’t really talk about it.
Since then my life hasn’t really changed, I didn’t live with her previously so it’s not like my life was completely flipped on it’s head, but surely I should feel something. Spending time at her death bed hasn’t haunted every waking moment and I don’t suddenly burst into tears when people ask me about her.
Is this normal or is it because I don’t really talk about it. Part of me wants to grieve her as I know that I can’t keep this up forever and some day it’s got to get to me. Do I reach out and try and start the grieving process or just leave it to happen naturally? Will it ever happen? I feel like I shouldn’t worry about this but it’s preoccuping more of my time than it should...

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I feel nothing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
This is a difficult one to answer, there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Everyones path is individual, and whilst there are often similarities each persons grief is different.

If you think you have repressed your grief you could explore bereavement counselling to explore your feelings. Or start a diary writing your thoughts and see where that takes you?  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I feel nothing
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 03:22:11 PM »
I agree with waht Emz has said - i also think the fact it is on your mind so much sugests you are grieving,but the "process" is different for everyone, but i would certailnly also recommend bereavement counselling especially  if this is affecting other aspects of your life now.