Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147357 times)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
I just read a parliament of rooks,which is set in Haworth but one of those that jumps between eras,so modern person buys house haunted by Bronte era ghost.It was really good lots of research on the historical facts but made into fiction.I seem to be going for this lately,so as a complete opposite feel good book,I finished a book called this morning called " the keeper of things "which was a real pleasure to read.I need something new for tonight now,but the Durells new series is back on ,so after that.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
How's everyone doing this eve?  Are you all melting from the sudden onset of summer too? Lol

I'm feeling a little bit sorry for myself this eve. After 2 weeks of oiling went to Drs for my ear to be syringed, went quite well but she wasn't able to fully clear it so another 2 weeks of oiling then back again  :undecided:.  That's not so bad that I have to go back but now it feels partially blocked and a bit weird, probably from all the swooshing water and it freaks me out potentially losing hearing for a while :-(  I know its minor in the scheme of things, but my mind doesnt seem to have registered that fact,  just dont know why it freaks me out so much. I guess being one of our main senses we really notice changes to it.   Fingers crossed its ok overnight

Hugs to all xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #317 on: May 29, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
Hope it sorts itself out Emz.
Just got back from a weekend camping with my grandson.We arrived late due to having to find an alternative route due to an accident.which was fun with no satnav or phone signal to get maps up.note to self get old fashioned printed road atlas.But quite impressed myself and him by negotiating country lanes based on sun direction and crossed fingers.Pretty sure the three cars that followed me might have been impressed too if they knew they were following someone who had no idea where she was going. :rofl:

Saturday we had massive thunderstorms.yesterday was beautiful wall to wall sunshine we walked up the hill behind the site and found a lovely grove of wild flowers and peregrines nesting on the cliffs.Also played swingball,badminton,football,cricket,threw balls for someone's dogs and divebombed a blow up sofa to bounce a row of kids off it.( at their request I have to add) Today everything ached and I had to pack away wet so everything is piled up in the kitchen waiting for a dry day.For my tea I,m having coldbag left overseas.crisps,cheese slices and potato salad.perhaps not the healthiest tea ,but it needs eating. :coffeetoast:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
I was asked on Sunday if I would take in an injured collared dove,so I agreed and set up a cage and pen..When he ariived the collared dove turned out to be a feral pigeon that had been clipped by a car and rescued by a h big issue seller who saw it happen.,(now named Tink after the guy).
There were no obvious injury's and tink seemed pretty lively but lacked flying ability.I put him in the cage but he was pacing up and down and attacking the bars,which could have caused injury so I threw a blanket over the cage and he settled down.
Given the hot weather though it wasn't going to be the best idea to leave him like that all day today,so I got up at dawn and secured the pen checking there were no gaps and let him out of the cage before going to work.came home at lunchtime and he was strutting around hapilly,came home tonight and no sign of him,so I figured he would be in the bushes at the back of the pen,went in to get some feed mixed up,came back out and Tink is sitting on the patio.watching me.
He wasn't about to be reconfined either,and ran down the garden then across the shallow end of the pond and sat on the other side watching me.I was worried if I chased him further he would panic and go in the deep end so walked off and pretended to ignore him while I checked the pen to see where he could have got out,no gaps.

Meanwhile Tink has crossed the pond again but one of the resident collared doves attacked him,so I chased that off and chased Pedro back up to the pen.Within inches of the gate he decides he can fly a little bit after all Which explains how he got out of the pen.He is now under the bushes at the far side of the pond where I can't reach him.
I have shoved his food as close as I can get and concluded he is rejecting the hospitality of a nice safe warm  cage for the night.Fingers crossed theirs no cats around and he has the sense to stay out of sight of the gangster dove.
All this worry over a flipping pigeon,I must be bonkers. :rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #319 on: June 21, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
Awww its lovely to care, I guess tinks not quite understanding some caring lol  :rofl:   mind you, I don't suppose he's used to people being nice. Always believe in helping animals xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #320 on: June 21, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
I've got very mixed feelings about Pigeons on a par with Squirrels. They hoover my bird feeders clean as a whistle and have me jumping up and down and banging on the window on a regular basis  :angry: :rolleyes:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #321 on: June 21, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
 :rofl: thats good exercise you should be grateful to the pigeons much cheaper than gym fees. -I know what you mean though they are greedy beggars.I got a separate bird table for them as they prefer to eat from a platform also theyre good at disposing of food scraps  - but i noticed one crafty beggar on sunday trying to raid a seed feeder - it overbalanced and fell off the branch.shouldnt laugh but  :rofl:

I was always the kid who picked the sadest scruffiest donkey at the seaside -still a sucker for the underdog,but i do quite like them despite the greed.
Also in their favour the collared doves are soooo loved up most of the time theyre sweet but also funny -theyre i supose the UK equivalent of the hadeda -so clumsy and not very good at flying considering they are birds. They chose to build a nest in a tree they cant get into without a top down crash through the branches cartoon style -i guess- to hide it from predators -but not the easiest landing approach.

Another plus point the velux windows the not very nice new neighbours put in their not very nice extension to look over my garden are covered in guano and if they leave them open possibly the kitchen worktop will have a similar coating. :whistle:

So anyway I thought Tink had flown the garden this morning after careful searching through the bushes -then it started to rain heavilly so i went and stood under the gazebo (another achievement getting that up on my own this year) After a few minutes i noticed an odd shadow on one of the corners and realised i was looking at a wing shape - guess who.Either he is really brainy gradually making his way up to a high point for flying practice - or - really thick sitting out there in heavy rain.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #322 on: June 21, 2017, 03:49:38 PM »
Reading that I have come to realise my dog probably has the brain/intelligence level of a pigeon!!  Had to pick him up a day early as he was really struggling with this heat and as a side effect being a real handful (pushed through her baby gate which keeps dog contained to half the house, pacing, whining from 5:30 and only sleeping about 5 hours).  Got him home and he's panting loads so got his paddling pool out, but after he had a bit of a paddle he decided to run around in the sun at top speed - getting even hotter!!  :huh: :undecided:
Finally have convinced him to lye on lounge floor in front of the fan and he's finally cool and asleep! Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #323 on: June 21, 2017, 07:35:17 PM »
Ben was like that.would lie next too the fire and singe if I didn't shift him,same with sun ,,I,d build him a shade put his bed there turn round and he would be sat back in full sun.I used to send him inside when it was scorching.
I think its going to thunder I have a headache which is always a sign.
Just seen the bridge over troubled water fundraiser for Grenfell tower. tears are  flowing again. :cray:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2017, 07:17:26 AM »
Hows everyone doing? It appears a lurgie is trying to get me :-( had a sore throat yesterday, which I thought was due to a cough I'd developed, but this morning I have woken up with more of a coldy feeling and have a sneezy,  slightly runny nose to accompany the (slightly worse) cough and sore throat  :shocked:

Typical that it coincides with a booked day out! On my way to Kidderminster to the West Midlands Safari park so I'm going to try and ignore these symptoms and have a good day!!

Had a very active weekend, have started painting fence panels. Oh my they take forever!! And I have still got loads left to do, but do feel a sense of achievement with the ones completed so far :-)   

Sending everyone a hug xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline WOODY

« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Hi Emz,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling rough, have a good day at the Safari park.

Have you thought about getting a spray gun and spray your fence panels, will be much quicker, but not on a windy day  :smiley:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »
My nose and throat behaved reasonably well through today. On way home now and nose is streaming  :undecided: looking forward to getting back home so I can have a nap!
Wish I'd thought of that before I bought all the tins of paint! Ah well. Good exercise I suppose! Lol :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline WOODY

« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »
Hi Emz,
Pleased you had a good day, although suffering again now.
But, just think what you have got to look forward to................... All them fence panels to paint
Have fun

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #328 on: July 03, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
Argh, (wo)man down, (wo)man down!  Cold lurgie has gone full force now!  :embarrassed:  my nose is streaming since my nap and I'm all out of season doing a reindeer impression :-(   Have had to delay all my items on my eve to do list, going to be an eve of lying on the sofa with tv instead!

At least no more fence panels until the weekend! :-)Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline WOODY

« Reply #329 on: July 03, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Hi Emz,
Really sorry that you are feeling so rough, but as you say, laying on the sofa watching tv, sounds a very good remedy for your symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon  :cray: